hope you guys can help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chromewarrior555

Reaction score
I have a 79 Bronco. Starts right up in the morning. But after it get up to running temp. If you turn off the engine, and try to restart it, it won't start. It turns, but won't start. When you let go of the key it sounds like it's going to start. I've changed all the electronics. Thanks for any help.

Bronc76

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the carb is flooded or the choke is sticking in the closed position.

Foul Al

Reaction score
Nope it's electrical. Fuel is fine. But thanks.
look at the starter solenoid. i had the same symptoms on my old 84 f-250 with the 351 w. once it was warm it wouldnt restart even with a jump... new starter and voila! I believe the solenoid is part of the starter itself nowadays. good luck

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi chrome.,

"I've changed all the electronics."

What does this mean...?

Basically., when it starts cold.., check the timing... it should be steady on the correct mark.

When it won't start., check for spark at a plug.

If the above is good., a couple possibilities --- weak/failing coil., bad key-switch. (try starting with a remote starter switch)

If timing wobbles., could be a failing timing chain.

"Nope it's electrical. Fuel is fine."

By what means did you determine this...??

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
chromewarrior555

chromewarrior555

Reaction score
We put a light on it. When you turn the key it doesn't light up. But when you let go it would light up for a second. Once it cools down it starts right up.

Hi chrome.,

"I've changed all the electronics."

What does this mean...?

Basically., when it starts cold.., check the timing... it should be steady on the correct mark.

When it won't start., check for spark at a plug.

If the above is good., a couple possibilities --- weak/failing coil., bad key-switch. (try starting with a remote starter switch)

If timing wobbles., could be a failing timing chain.

"Nope it's electrical. Fuel is fine."

By what means did you determine this...??

Seabronc

Reaction score
One of the components that acts similar to this is a bad stator assembly coil, inside the distributor.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Duraspark II Distributor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke