How do you engage 4x4 in 1989 bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael1989

Reaction score
Hey,I'm new to broncos and just got one. it is an automatic with two transfer case buttons 4x4 and low range. when I press either one of them no lights come on and I can't tell it all 4's are spinning. also it has locking hubs, I was just wondering how to engage it so I could see if its working or not.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
YO MICHAEL,

WELCOME!

If the locking hubs are the automatic type, they engage by themselves; if manual hubs, each hub on both front wheels need to to be turned to Locked before pressing any buttons on dash.

Manual Hubs & 1356 Electric Shift Operational Test; "... (engine off, hubs disengaged), crawl under the truck with the transfer case in 2HI, you should be able to grab the front drive shaft and turn it by hand. Also with the hubs disengaged you should see the front axles turning freely. Now engage the hubs and you should not be able to turn the drive shaft by hand. Jack the front wheels off the ground with the hubs engaged, turn the drive shaft by hand, the wheels should turn. The 4x4 light should not be on in 2HI, when in 4LOW you may have a low range light on, (not all trucks have that light) at least mine doesn't..."

Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Auto Hub Operational Test; Remember to block the wheels. This would work for testing manual hubs too, just lock them 1st; "...Place transfercase in 2HI or Neutrall. 2. Lying under vehicle, turn front drive shaft (one direction only). 3. Automatic hubs should lock after 1 to 5 turns of driveshaft (one direction only). After step 3 the hubs should lock, youll know they are locked becouse you will hear a click from both hubs and you will no longer be able to turn the front drive shaft (in the same direction). If this is not the case then continue to step 4. If you can no longer turn the drive shaft (in the same direction) then skip to step 7. 4. If you can still turn the drive shaft (one direction only) then one or more of your Auto hubs is not working. 5. Continuing to turn the Drive shaft (one direction only). 6. Look at the u-joints for the front stub axles, if both are turning then both front hubs are malfunctioning, if only one is turning then the one that is not turning is locked and the one turning is malfuctioning. Replace as necosary (preferably with manual hubs, Auto hubs have Yams in them) 7. To unlock the hubs, turn drive shaft in opisat direction untill you hear a click from the hubs. To check for transfercase engagement. 1. Place pushbutton transfercase in either 4 HI or 4LO. 2. lie under vehicle. 3. You should not be able to turn front drive-shaft in either direction. 4. If you can turn the front drive shaft then your transfer case is not shifting properly..."

Source: by Gacknar

Take time to read through this;

Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for Bronco, F Series & Ranger (COMPLETE); Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting & Hub Operation; same for 87-96; exc for that in 87; power from Fuse 6 (15 amp) to "ELECT SHIFT CONTROL MOD" WHT-PPL and CB 12 (30amp) to "ELECT SHIFT CONTROL MOD" BLK-WHT; SEE A7 and A8 in the 4x4 diagram, it shows those two wires BLK-WHT as BK/W from SHIFT MODULE to P1 BATTY and and WHT-PPL as W/P to P2 Source: by Ford via Chilton

ALSO:

Jeff at the Bronco Graveyard has offered a 2% discount to members of The BroncoZone for on line orders. To get your discount, enter the discount code BZMEMBER. Also you must include your BroncoZone User Name with the order.

OP
OP
michael1989

michael1989

Reaction score
thanks, i do have manual locking hubs and the test worked i could turn it w/o hubs locked, but not with the hubs locked. I do have the two buttons 4x4 and low range. I locked the hubs put it in neutral with the engine running and pressed low range or 4x4 and still there is no noise and no lights came on. Even after I drive a little bit.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like your shift motor on the transfer case is not working. You should be able to check that manually also.

With the hubs unlocked, 1. try turning the front drive shaft by hand, It should turn freely. 2. With the key in RUN, press the 4x4 button, you should not be able to turn the shaft. If you have someone who can press the button while you listen for the shift motor to operate, that may work better. Just be sure the emergency brake is on and the wheels are chocked for safety purposes.

Good luck,

peace.gif

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

For the shiftmotor and other possible causes go though that Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for Bronco, F Series & Ranger (COMPLETE); Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting & Hub Operation; same for 87-96; exc for that in 87; power from Fuse 6 (15 amp) to "ELECT SHIFT CONTROL MOD" WHT-PPL and CB 12 (30amp) to "ELECT SHIFT CONTROL MOD" BLK-WHT; SEE A7 and A8 in the 4x4 diagram, it shows those two wires BLK-WHT as BK/W from SHIFT MODULE to P1 BATTY and and WHT-PPL as W/P to P2 Source: by Ford via Chilton

An issue is the shift motor's travel stops; some give the motor a whack w/a mallet.

see PAGE 8

TOUCH DRIVE" - NEW ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE FOR 1991

A new electronic control module has been installed on the 1991 model Ford trucks with "Touch Drive," built after 8/6/90. The new module features a different computer logic to control shifting.

With the previous module (YOUR 1989), it was possible for the driver to select 4L directly from 2WD. However, the control module actually shifted the vehicle into 4H first, then checked to see if the vehicle was stopped and that the automatic transmission was in neutral (or the manual transmission clutch was disengaged). If these conditions were not met, the actual shift wouldn't take place. Instead, everything would be made ready for the moment when the shift could be completed. This was called pre-staging.

During pre-staging, the Low Range light flashed. This confused some customers. In addition, pre-staging and the flashing light sent confusing signals to the new E4OD transmission's electronic controller.

The opearation is to Lock both hubs first; then shift into 4H

BillyHill

Reaction score
How do you properly engage 4x4 in 1996 bronco

• I have an Automatic, manual front locking hubs.
  • Do I lock the hubs, then start the engine, then put in neutral, then hit the 4x4 low button, the put in first? 
  • Please list the proper steps. Thank you very much.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Billy,

Yes, lock both hubs first, start engine, E4OD in park or Neutral, push the "4x4 button located on the instrument panel. This shift can be done at a stop or at speeds up to 55 miles per hour
(88 km/h)."

"...❑Do not drive the vehicle in 4H or 4L with the manual locking hubs in the FREE position.
❑Do not drive the vehicle with the left and right manual locking hubs set to different positions.
However, the front driveline will remain
engaged to the front wheels until the manual
locking hubs are disengaged. To disengage the
manual locking hubs, stop the vehicle and rotate
both hub lock selector knobs counter-clockwise
to the FREE position.

] Operating in 2H with the hubs in the LOCK position increases fuel consumption, noise, vibration, and wear. For prolonged 2H operation on dry pavement, set the manual locking hubs to the FREE position."

BY FORD IN 1996 Owner Manual.  Except Ford didn't want to mention manual locking hubs.

Download a free copy @ https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandE4OD in park orservice/owner-manuals/

husmann

Reaction score
It actually does not matter when you lock the hubs, in relationship to actually putting it into 4WD.  Of course, you won't have 4WD if the hubs are not locked, no matter what the transfer case is doing.

You have to put it into 4Hi before you can put it into 4Lo. With the original auto-locking hubs that came on your Bronco, you could engage 4Hi at something up to 30mph. The important thing was to make sure that you stopped and went at least 10ft in reverse once you were out of 4WD to disengage the hubs. Otherwise those auto locking hubs would fry. I have a '93 that now has Warn manual locking hubs. I have found that sometimes they don't want to disengage even after I've unlocked them, so I try to go in reverse a little once I'm done with 4WD.

To engage 4Hi, you can be in Park, Drive, Neutral, or Reverse. Same for getting out of 4Hi. To engage 4Lo from 4Hi, you have to be in Neutral AND stopped. If it does not want to go into 4Lo, then drive a few feet forward or reverse, put it into Neutral, and try again. Getting out of 4Lo is just the reverse process.

Step by Step:

1. Manually lock the hubs.

2. Engage 4Hi in whatever transmission mode you want.

3. Put vehicle in Neutral. Engage 4Lo. If it won't go easily, move forward or reverse a few feet. Try again.

4. Have fun and don't crash.

5. Put vehicle in Neutral. Disengage 4Lo.

6. Disengage 4Hi.

7. Unlock hubs.

8. Drive in reverse a few feet (not mandatory).

Hope this helps.

Husmann

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke