ignition / key turn to on...then do solenoid trick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirty89

Reaction score
My 1989 Bronco XLT 302 AT has a weird problem. To start the motor I have to turn the key so the dummy lights come on. Then pop the hood and take a pair of insulated pliers and touch the two bolts on the solenoid. What is my fix here ? Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum, this is my second bronco, last one was a 91.

Thanks for answer !!!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo D,

WELCOME!

No Start Troubleshooting Chart Source: by motorwatch.com

No Start Troubleshooting;

"...First thing to check is wiring. Between the large posts of your starter relay should be a smaller post with a wire attached. This is the wire from your ignition switch through the Park/Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)/Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS), Or clutch safety switch on a manual trans, or NSS/MLPS with an AOD/E4OD, to the starter relay and the on to the starter solenoid (if equipped) and starter. Check this wire for cracks, open insulation, or anything that could possibly cause an open circuit. Next, check your upper ignition actuator. Find the ignition rod (on top of the column, running from the steering wheel down to the ignition switch at the base of the column) and make sure it's moving back and forth when you turn the key, through all positions. If it is, your upper actuator is probably not the problem. Lastly, check your ignition switch (again, at the base of the column). Manually push the switch back and forth through the different positions. Push it all the way forward (or down) and see if it will engage the starter. If it does, then your ignition rod is probably bent, which can be remedied quite easily. & If it's an auto, try starting in neutral or while pulling up on the lever while it's in park. If that works, look to the Park/NSS/MLPS.

If it's a stick, check the clutch switch.

You could try jumping from hot to the small terminal on the starter relay to test it's operation. Sometimes new ones are bad out of the box. If it won't turn over when jumped to the small terminal, you'll know that it's a starter relay issue (Bad part, bad ground; check to see if da relay is tight to inner fender with no corrosion because the relay's body is ground path via inner fender).

If it does turns over jumped to the small terminal, then you'll be looking for something in the circuit that includes the ignition switch & the park/neutral safety switch (NSS/MLPS) Or clutch safety switch. There should be 12v running from the ignition switch, thru the NSS/MLPS, to the small terminal on the starter relay. Disconnect the small wire to the starter relay (So it doesn't start by surprise, I'd pull the coil wire too). With someone holding the key in the start position, you should be able to read 12v between any point on that small circuit & ground. When you find where you lose 12v, then you'll know where the issue is...";

actuator rod overview; "...The actuator rod on tilt columns is a culprit. The key turns a rod via a rack. The rod goes over the pin sticking out of the rod pictured above. That part wraps up over the column where yet another rod goes into it that travels down the top of the column to a remote mounted switch block. This block actually makes contact. The Aluminum piece above breaks and you no longer can push that rod. The longer straight section going to the top right of that picture is there only for the ignition lock (that little lever under the column you need to use to get your key back)... read more; MIESK5 NOTE, Below the cylinder and key (11582) in the ****** is a brass gear (3E717), flat bearing (3E700) and snap ring (3C610). these three parts are the same from 1976 thru 1996. Turn the key, the brass gear works with the "steering column lock actuator" (3E723) that controls the rod (11A599) to the ignition switch. If the brass gear is stripped, the ignition switch itself won't work, because without that brass gear...the rod won't actuate the switch

Source: by shift1313 (Matt) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Removal & Installation in 87-91 (figure 1) (also applies to 80-91 w/Tilt; Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dirty89

Reaction score
Wow, thank you for all this information. I will start when I get back from LA. I am a desert rat from Chandler , AZ, but going thru some training in LA this week. My truck does not have the tilt function. The ignition switch seems to turn in more of a circle then it should. I hope I am not ruining the solenoid by continuing to start in this manner. Your quick response to my woes is greatly appreciated. As I said, I'm in LA until Sunday, I won't be able to work on her until Sunday night or Monday. But I will communicate/ ask questions when needed. Thanks all.

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
hey bud i have the exact same issue its actually a problem in your ignition switch not the tumbler.. its a real pain to replace and kinda spendy what i did is i routed a remote starter switch from the cab down through the shift hole (mine is a manual) and hooked it up to the selanoid so all i have to do is key on and then grab the switch to crank the starter over.. personaly i like it because not tomany people know how to start the bronc

i have been doing this for 8 years

Bebop Man

Reaction score
It's not too hard at all. Two screws to remove the dash trim, two bolts to drop the column, then two more bolts to free up the starter switch. And a switch will be in $15-$20 range. And starter solenoids are in the same ballpark.

OP
OP
D

dirty89

Reaction score
Thank you. Where is the starter switch, is it attached to the steering column ? I know where the solenoid is, on the passenger side of the engine compartment against the wall. Don't know where the starter switch is.......

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo.

Switch is in steering column as shown below;

Lock Cylinder & Switch Replacement & Depictions in 87-91 (figure 1) (from Factory Manual and the Ford Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM)Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums89Ignitionswitchlocation.jpg

Following by Chilton; resembles Ford's process:

1.Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2.Remove the steering column shroud and lower the steering column.

3.Disconnect the switch wiring at the multiple plug.

I would Mark the switch location (outline w/felt pen) in case a previous owner or shop did somethAng funky to it or column.

4.Remove the two nuts that retain the switch to the steering column.

5. Lift the switch vertically upward to disengage the actuator rod from the switch and remove the switch.

6.When installing the ignition switch, both the locking mechanism at the top of the column and the switch itself must be in the LOCK position for correct adjustment. To hold the mechanical parts of the column in the LOCK position, move the shift lever into PARK (with automatic transmissions) or REVERSE (with manual transmissions), turn the key to the LOCK position, and remove the key. New replacement switches, when received, are already pinned in the LOCK position by a metal shipping pin inserted in a locking hole on the side of the switch.

7.Engage the actuator rod in the switch.

8.Position the switch on the column and install the retaining nuts, but do not tighten them.

9. Move the switch up and down along the column to locate the mid-position of rod lash, and then tighten the retaining nuts.

10.Remove the locking pin, connect the battery cable, and check for proper start in PARK or NEUTRAL.-Also check to make certain that the start circuit cannot be actuated in the DRIVE and REVERSE position.

11. Raise the steering column into position at instrument panel. Install steering column shroud.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dirty89

Reaction score
All who have responded: THANK YOU.

I have never had so much assistance come my way following a question I had on any forum. The last vehicle I drove before the 89 bronco was an 88 landcruiser. The forum I was on was no where near as helpful as this one is. Thank you again. I am in Cali training and won't be back to jump into maintenance until Monday. Seems I have all the info I need, but I will not hesitate to ask if I get lost. Thank you Ford guys.

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
All who have responded: THANK YOU.

I have never had so much assistance come my way following a question I had on any forum. The last vehicle I drove before the 89 bronco was an 88 landcruiser. The forum I was on was no where near as helpful as this one is. Thank you again. I am in Cali training and won't be back to jump into maintenance until Monday. Seems I have all the info I need, but I will not hesitate to ask if I get lost. Thank you Ford guys.
lol thats because them toyota guys are like chevy guys with there heads up in the clouds, we ford ppl have to band together you see!

OP
OP
D

dirty89

Reaction score
yes sir !!!

my ford history includes:

1970 f250

another 1970 f250

1966 a code 4 spd mustang

1968 mustang

1970 mach 1

1992 ford f150

1994 f150 supercab

2005 mustang

1991 bronco

and now my recent 1989 bronco.

I def love my fords, I should have never strayed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke