Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando32

Reaction score
I think i posted a recent message with about the same question. But please help anyways... But I have the 400m that needs rebuilding, or i am thinking rebuilding a Straight 6. What would be better you think, my truck is gonna be more of a trail truck than ******** mud pits, plus I am trying to upgrade gas milage alittle, is that even possbile, and so how hard woudl it be to swap a Straight 6 into a Bronco anyways.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"...so how hard would it be to swap a Straight 6 into a Bronco anyways?"

Prob. not hard at all, depend. on your abilities.

You would need the I-6 300 Ford eng. (great eng.)

Issues would be the weld to the frame motor mounts to fit the 6.

Then maybe some trannie/transf. alignment with the crossmember for the transf. mount. And maybe some dr. shaft changes.

--- Might be well served to check with Advanced Adaptors as they have adaptors for just about any eng./trans. combo. ---

Having said that., at the end of the day.., I don't know if the mileage increase would be enough to warrant the work & expense. It could take some ten yrs. (of better mileage) to recover the difference.

Look here--- http://forums.4wheeloffroad.com/70/620272/engine/300-ford-inline-6-power-mods/index.html

The 400 is a good mill. freshening it up would likely increase mileage.

I would assume it's poss. to de-tune it a bit and/or sleeve it down to a 360 or so..... you might research that online.

Any off road/trail travel is going to drop mileage..., but then you're usually not going 2-3 hundred miles a day...! More likely 10-50 miles.

It's an "up to the individual" kinda thing.... >:D< <'>

Last edited by a moderator:

Krafty

Reaction score
if you grab a 6 and trans and transfercase combo out of a 70's bronco or f150 or f250, the only issue will be the motor mounts which you can cut out of the donor truck. everything else will bolt right up. double check your bellhousing bolt spacing but I dont think the 300 will match the Modified bock hense the trans swap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66