rear coil spring swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69bronc347

Reaction score
i been thinking about it and i have extra coils, radius arms, coil buckets for the bronco front. all i would need to do rear coils is c brackets to weld on to the axle and a track bar set up. has any one seen a bronco with this set up, better yet does anyone have pictures? all thoughts and ideas are good. seems really simple to me, so why not

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
So you want too do a three link rear, right?! I would suggest you just do a 4 link and dont waste your time with the stock junk(you would have too extend the radius arms huge and c bushings are not the best and setting up the third link could be tricky with shocks and such. I have seen it online somewhere the inverted front too rear set up and it was a mud truck. I am sure it was on a bronco 2. I will have a strong thought that it will limit rear flex and cost too much. If you need more flex take out a leaf spring or two and cut the fenders. I used too run 8 leafs outta an 11 pack and it got super flexy. I am sure I sent you something about chevy leaf springs but I am sure there is not enough space on the EBs for them maybe a different shorter pack would work. Hit the junk yard and make a new trend, trade out the stockers for shackle down with a few inches longer pack of springs. Shit you could manufacture brackets and sell it too every eb owner. DO IT. HAHA

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
James Duff has them (4 link) "off the shelf"

From $950 for "DYI" To $2600 for the latest set-up.

Pics are in their catalog & maybe online as well.
I encourage out and around the box constuction. Someday out and around will be norm!

B

OP
OP
69bronc347

69bronc347

Reaction score
So you want too do a three link rear, right?! I would suggest you just do a 4 link and dont waste your time with the stock junk(you would have too extend the radius arms huge and c bushings are not the best and setting up the third link could be tricky with shocks and such. I have seen it online somewhere the inverted front too rear set up and it was a mud truck. I am sure it was on a bronco 2. I will have a strong thought that it will limit rear flex and cost too much. If you need more flex take out a leaf spring or two and cut the fenders. I used too run 8 leafs outta an 11 pack and it got super flexy. I am sure I sent you something about chevy leaf springs but I am sure there is not enough space on the EBs for them maybe a different shorter pack would work. Hit the junk yard and make a new trend, trade out the stockers for shackle down with a few inches longer pack of springs. Shit you could manufacture brackets and sell it too every eb owner. DO IT. HAHA
the thing is im not a ********* rock crawler, so i dont need huge flex and i believe this setup will give more flex than stock style leafs. and i would call that a 3 link. money is a little tight right now and i have some broken rear leafs and i got the treacherous bronco lean. i have the majority of the stuff to do this, one other reason and im tired of wheel hop i know it will be easy to make a traction bar set up,but i haven't seen this setup on a eb. i like doing things that other people havent. the 63 inch swap isnt a bad idea at all but this goes back to money and a 4 link is a better and i would like to do it with huge heim joints but that gets expensive quick

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
the thing is im not a ********* rock crawler, so i dont need huge flex and i believe this setup will give more flex than stock style leafs. and i would call that a 3 link. money is a little tight right now and i have some broken rear leafs and i got the treacherous bronco lean. i have the majority of the stuff to do this, one other reason and im tired of wheel hop i know it will be easy to make a traction bar set up,but i haven't seen this setup on a eb. i like doing things that other people havent. the 63 inch swap isnt a bad idea at all but this goes back to money and a 4 link is a better and i would like to do it with huge heim joints but that gets expensive quick
Not a rock crawler but want more flex (in the rear)

1 you have broken springs

2 you want more flex

3 dont want axle hoppitty hop on full rear hammer down, are you a muddy runner?

Seems too me You should find some stock springs or cheap lift springs( at the junker) and mix and match with your old, and maybe drop in some sort of traction bar too limit the hippity hop in the rear( sounds like your a hammer down guy).

Or maybe or you could use a winch when you get too the hard spots, Just guessing!

OR maybe if you have blocks in the rear, those are junk remove fast as that is where the hop is coming from.. Trucks with spring blocks are junk!!!!!They cause major axle wrap!!!

BBB

OP
OP
69bronc347

69bronc347

Reaction score
i said i wasnt a ******** rocker doesnt mean i like to get out and play in the rocks, my main area is snow wheeling which causes alot of axle wrap, i have swaped in a used spring to eliminate the broken spring, and axle wrap is still there, no blocks just a reverse shackle conversion, like i said i like unique, and i wanted to strech my wheelbase a little, when my rear wheel wells got cut i think they were cut a little far back, so i want to center the wheels in the wells, may not be the best design but believe is going to work fine, i already cut the stock wedges off my stock dana 30, worse case scenario i wasted a stock dana 30, one of the axles is broken any way

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Axle wrap is no fun get rid of it add a good load leaf in the rear that can smack the back of the leaves when you go full throttle. It can help a little depending on how it sits with the other leaves.

Great I am a snow wheeler too that is pretty much all I like too do its fun and HARD Too do! I will assume you let all the air out of your tires down too 10 psi or less if you have bead locks, and you have wide ass tires !

I wait for the snow just too go wheeling in the San Berdu mountains. I am lucky I have a key too all the gates and can run all the trails that are shut down during the snow season! All I can say about suspension is that it should be a normal truck I used too run 5.5 coils with 5.5 springs in the rear with the same 4 removed and ran a soft top or check out the build with the front and rear narrowed. But narrowed throws alot of mud and junk on the windshied so make shure the wipers work LOL. Wheel speed helps too if you have good tires. Whatch out the bronco wont steer too well with lockers front and rear. A rear locker and a front selectible is the best when it gets icy and when it gets melty. I liked it open in the front when snow wheeling till you get stuck.

Wheelbase will help but it costs alot (driveshaft) the rest is cut and weld.

BWT

Look me up for snow pics

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke