89 bronco leaking gas from the fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlick

Reaction score
Had my new bronco for about 2 weeks amd i just noticed it was leaking fuel from both sides of the fuel tank skid plate. I was just wondering if this was a common problem and where it might be leaking from. Im going to remove the fuel tank tomorrow. Can you tell me if there are any tricks or precautions i should take to doing this or if there is a common place that it leaks from. I already pb blasted the 8 skid plate nut and bolts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And also the previous owner said he replaced BOTH? of the fuel pumps. There is only one place to put fuel in it. My last bronc was a 94 and i put a fuel pump in it and there was only one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Just have to take the tank down and examine it. It could be the hoses to the tank as well. Look for stains where the fuel is running from.

Dissconnect the battery to prevent sparks if you're removing the tank. and remember it can be heavy. I usually drive or drain the tank to just a couple of gallons.

I don't remember what years but some Broncs have a pump in the tank and another on the frame rail, with a resevore.

Good luck, keep us informed.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo J,

WELCOME!

Your 89 has two electric pumps; low pressure boost pump in fuel tank & a high pressure pump mounted on the driver's side frame

TANK Removal & Repairs in an 83 (he did an EFI Swap) Source: by Steve83

Some tips;

Remove batty neg cable

have fire ext and assistant

use brass punch or drift on tanks's 2" Lock Ring

Clean Before opening the tank, buy a NEW O-ring and wash any dirt away from the pump plate.

hose.jpg by Steve83

Hard to Re-Fuel, Gas Station Pump Shuts-Off; "...There is a plastic vent tube inside the filler neck that often gets kinked..." fuelvent1.jpg

Source: by justshootme84 (Randy Z, Casual Mudder) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

V REST Vapor Valve (Roll-Over) Valve on later year Depictions & Location Diagrams in 5.0, 5.8, 7.5, & 4.9;

Get new straps & insulators too;

OUR SPONSOR, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard

Upper Tank Strap, 25-33 Gallon # 30272

New 1980-96 Ford Bronco Each Price: $15.00

33 Gallon Steel Gas Tank # 30214 New 1980-89 Ford Bronco

Steel 2" Sending Unit Hole Price: $105.00

Aftermarket 33 gallon gas tank with 2" Lock Ring.

31 7/8" x 22 1/4" x 15 3/4"

All gas tanks are engineered to the highest quality standards for peak performance and precise first time fit!

Lock ring and seal sold separate.

833GAL2INCHHOLE.JPG

Made in Canada.

Other parts recommended:

Sending Unit Lock Ring 2" # 30240 New 1980-89 Bronco Price: $5.00

LOCKRING.JPG

Sending Unit Seal 2" # 30241

New 1980-89 Bronco Price: $1.00

1980-96 Bronco Gas Tank Breather Valve Seal

# 30259S

New!

OEM

1980-96 Ford Bronco

1980-96 Ford Pickup

Gas tank breather valve Seal

Price: $6.00

Bronco Gas Tank Roll Over/Breather Valve

# 30260

New

1988-96 Ford Bronco

OEM Valve

Price: $45.00

Seabronc

Reaction score
When removing the bolts that hold the tank in place, be sure to support the tank so it doesn't fall to the ground. If you have a roll around shop jack it will probably be your best bet. Put a short board between it and the tank. After the electrical connectors, tank straps and hose are removed slowly lower the tank while you steady it with your hand. Just to be safe and to protect yourself, an ABC fire extinguisher, wear some protective nonflammable gloves (leather welding gloves if you have them), nonflammable protection for your arms and body and face guard. That may sound like a little overkill, but on the rare chance you have a spill that ignites, you will be glad you went to the the effort. Don't forget it is the fumes that ignite, not the gas so a well ventilated area is the best place to do this. If you are the least uncomfortable with this, have a professional mechanic do it. CAUTION and SAFELY are the best approach.

Good luck,

peace.gif

nelbur

Reaction score
Leaking gas tank is a common problem with Broncos. Salt and sand gets between the skid plate and the tank and rusts the tank through. The best advice is to siphon out ALL of the gas so the tank is manageable. It is possible to clean the tank off and use epoxy and a bit of fiberglass to repair it, but the second time mine leaked, I used a new tank that I painted in the vulnerable area to help slow the corrosion.

OP
OP
J

jlick

Reaction score
Well i got the tank out and patched the little pinhole that was in the side of it. Now the stupid little 2 inch round plug that goes in the top towards the center wouldnt go back in. So i tried to pull the hose off and take the tank out and try to get it in. Well the hose ripped and it has a smaller plastic hose inside it so i cant just slide it back on. I got the plug in the hole tho and im so fed up with thia damn fuel tank im about to say ***** it and put it back together and just not hook this hose up. Any suggestions? Im about to just roll the pos off a cliff

nelbur

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your problem, but if you need the outside fill hose, I got mine years ago from The Bronco Graveyard. It is actually a molded hose. The inner hose is a vent hose, I believe.

Bronco Kid!

Reaction score
im pretty sure that 2 inch plug your talking about is your vent and the hose goes to another hose that runs up the passenger side frame rail.. you only realy need that hose if you are taking the thing through some pretty deep water

El Bronco

Reaction score
I just replaced my tank earlier today. I snapped the supply line end off so I got a new one, cut part of the old line off and used the connecter that came with it. I put 2 gallons in then it started right up after a couple seconds and ran for about 6. Now it won't start at all. What could I have done wrong? I looked and everything is on properly. The only thing I can think is that it's not getting enough gas through the little joiner/connecter that I put on or the pump went bad when I had it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke