whats the trick with oil pump and oil pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bob69m

Reaction score
im in the process of changing out my leaky oil pan gasket and new oil pump. i jacked the engine up got everything off and now im strugling with getting the oil pump on while the oil pan is right under it. i tried to get oil pan on with the oil pump already installed but there wasnt enough room for that. if there is a trick to this please let me know
please.gif

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Oil Pan+Pump Replacment in a 95, Source: by TRUCKY18 (Bco) at SuperMotors.net

Excerpts;

"...With the engine jacked up you can un-bolt the oil pan, and the oil pump. The oil pump has two bolts in it, one of them visible in this picture; it’s the small bolt right near the harmonic balancer in this picture. Once the oil pump is un-bolted, just let it fall into the pan. You also have to remove a nut the holds the pick-up tube to the engine, it’s about midway back.

To get the pan out I had to disconnect my exhaust where the muffler meets the cat, not hard since I put a new cat back on 2 years ago.

also had to remove the muffler from its hangers

also have to remove the inspection plate on the tranny, yes it was that close, but by disconnecting the exhaust and removing this piece; I did not have to take the upper intake off. YAY!

With the pan off you can inspect the bottom end of the motor, everything looked ship shape to me. You can see where the oil pick-up attaches, it is the main bolt which is also a stud. (If that makes sense.)

The pump and the pick-up will still be attached when the pan come off, I thought it was easier to do it this way. Make sure you clean the pick-up tube, mine did not have anything in it, but I cleaned it anyway.

set it all in the pan and ran the pump backwards by hand to prime it, don’t want to start up dry.

Now you have to bolt in the oil pump and pick-up. Easier said than done, because the oil pump was heavier it was a PAIN to hold it in place with one finger and try to get a bolt in, and this was also when I played around with the pump shaft for frickin’ ever. But once you get the pump on just bolt the pan on. Making sure the gasket made a good seal.

================

TSB 95-6-8 Oil Pan 5.0L MARCH 27, 1995

FORD: 1990-91 CROWN VICTORIA

1990-93 THUNDERBIRD

1990-95 MUSTANG

LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1990-91 GRAND MARQUIS

1990-92 MARK VII

1990-93 COUGAR

1990-95 TOWN CAR

1990-95 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F-150, F-250

Beginning 11/29/94, all 5.0L engines are being produced using a rigid carrier-type oil pan gasket. The rigid oil pan gasket design and revised sealing procedure are being introduced to reduce the possibility of mispositioning the cork-type gaskets during assembly which could result in leaks and repeat repairs. The revised sealing procedure is applicable to all 1990-95 5.0L oil pan gasket designs.

Apply Silicone Sealant to the oil pan gasket and block as indicated when service is required. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for removal and installation procedures.

NOTE: SEALANT MUST BE APPLIED TO BOTH SIDES OF THE OIL PAN GASKET AS SHOWN IN FIGURE 1. FAILURE TO APPLY SEALANT AS INDICATED TO BOTH SIDES OF THE OIL PAN GASKET MAY CAUSE OIL LEAKS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F5TZ-6710-A Oil Pan Gasket

D6AZ-19562-BA Silicone Sealant

---------------

Availability of New Silicone Gasket & Sealant TSB 98-7-4 for 84-96 Bronco; 84-98 Econoline, F-150, F-250 HD, F-250 LD; 84-99 Super Duty F Series, etc.

ISSUE A new Silicone Gasket And Sealant (F7AZ-19554-EA) material is now available for routine engine service or repair of engine oil leaks.

ACTION Use the new Silicone Gasket And Sealant for servicing:

Oil pan gaskets and T-joints

Intake end seals

Overhead cam caps

Valve and timing covers

Bearing split lines

Side cover plates

Rear oil seals

The new sealant has better adhesion, flexibility for moving/vibrating joints, resistance to fluids, and is easier to dispense.

NOTE: THIS MATERIAL IS NOT A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR A SILICONE RUBBER, GRAPHITE, OR OTHER TYPE OF PRE-FORMED GASKET.

========

some specs from my 96

Maximum Oil Pump Cover Flatness Variation, 0.038mm (0.0015 In.)

Oil Pump Rotor Clearance, 0.10mm (0.004 In.)

ok, hold-on, here is more...

When I was a Navy employee I often met w/many suppliers, esp. the major US steel mills. One rep. described the differences between companies that manufacture commercial and industrial products ranging from refigerators to trucks.

When sellings rolled steel appliance/vehicle body panel, etc. to the customer, the mills would discount 10% automatically because the edges and outside coil of the steel roll would be rusty or slightly damaged due to storage/shipment.

The "higher quality firms" would scrap these sections; while the "others" would try to remove or minimize the rusty sections and use it in various "non-appearance" parts of the vehicle or item they were manufacturing. Such as Ford oil pans.

This was in the 80's and early 90's; and as we know Ford and other manufacturers have improved the body panel specs and quality exc. for this and some other items (some suspension components).

OP
OP
B

bob69m

Reaction score
hey man i just looked through your picks and you have the same oil cooler on your truck as i do on mine,

Gaven\'s 2nd bday 82011 527.JPG

what the **** you didnt say you had one too, is that stock or aftermarket?????????????

abviously mine is broken

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
All the pics are by trucky.

btw bob, I didn't see that cooler in trucky's pics

I added the clearance specs from my 96's Workshop Manual, but over-wrote "Workshop Manual" while adding the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

bob69m

Reaction score
No he does its the exact same one as mine he has a k&n filter on it and has two hoses runing off it to the botton hose of the radiator

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
He placed a remote filter & adapter in it[img

And it was in another section aside from his pump/pan R&R Link I posted.

one pic from above site for reference:

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/142921/thumbnail/img_0831.jpg[/img]

Trucky wrote in the caption to the pics; "... am mounting the filter to the fire wall to the right of the engine, up-right and easy to get to. I don't think anyone was thinking when they designed the oil filter mount.

One hose on and part of the second one on.

It was a pain getting this tight, while keeping the hose in the right place and not over-tightening the filter adapter.

This is the adapter for the block. You have to buy the universal kit because the one designed for the 351W is the older one which does not fit newer blocks. The threads for the filter are 22m instead of what ever it used to be..."

Now the filter is up-right and easy to get to, not to mention it's about 2 times the size of the old one, and holds nearly 1qt of oil..."

THE TWO HOSES DO NOT GO TO THE RADIATOR; THEY ARE FROM ADAPTER TO THE REMOTELY MOUNTED FILTER.

OP
OP
B

bob69m

Reaction score
this is the pick that im talking about. upper right hand side what is the part thats the oil filter screwed on? it must be an oil cooler. my question is if its stock or not? i cant find it anywhere

img_1189.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Bob,

That is probably the optional oil cooler tubing

In your other post about this, I thought it was the Boss Engine oil cooler adapter, never knew Ford put this type in 5.0 & 5.8 as an option until I went through a brochure (see at end) and this diagram in the Ford EVTM/ Work Shop Manual. see 73 through 77

5.8PartsBOutExternalNomen.jpg

================

Here is a replacement hose (6K741)

401136509.jpg

Here is another description; "...Sarad Part#: KM2923-MOT

Radiator coolant hose. 5.0, lower hose - f5ta-8b273-aac - (if looking for hose directly off water pump with two hoses that go to engine oil cooler, refer to 6k741) (upper)" Price: $23.54 Brand: MotorcraftYears Make Vehicle Engine

1997-1999 Ford F250 Pickup n/a

1993-1996 Ford Bronco n/a

1993 Ford F150 Pickup n/a

1993 Ford F250 Pickup n/a

Related Numbers

F5TZ8286B

F5TZ-8286-B

KM2923

KM-2923

or;

Sarad Part#: KM2924-MOT

Description:

Radiator coolant hose. 5.8, lower hose - f5ta-8b273-aac - (if looking for hose directly off water pump with two hoses that go to engine oil cooler, refer to 6k741) (upper)

Also ref to as the "ADAPTER, OIL COOLER, ENGINE" in Federal Supply Classification nomenclature.

GOODYEAR, GATES, DAYCO, etc. also makes them.

==========

In Trucky's Oil Filter Re-Location Album at Trucky's SuperMotors site

He mounted the remote filter Mount to the fire wall to the right of the engine

img_0829.jpg

These are the remote oil filter hoses at filter adapter on da Engine to the remote filter mount;

img_0835.jpg

img_0837.jpg

Both hoses on remote mount w/Filter

----------------

I'm having some vision issues again and looking through Trucky's SuperMotors site and all his pics ...is like sand in a desert, right?

btw, here is the 95 Bronco Brochure by Ford via Hans Tore Tangerud @ http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/95bronco/95bronco.html

GL!

Attachments

• 5.8PartsBOutExternalNomen.jpg
    5.8PartsBOutExternalNomen.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 414
OP
OP
B

bob69m

Reaction score
Wow this is awesome!!!! I had no idea that was an option. Thank you so much now all i got to do is buy that hose take off the cooler and weld a new pipe onto it and i be in business

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
That's a good price on the oil cooler hose, best I found was $39.00 at J.B.G. Stock for trailer tow option vehicles. You get max a/c, tow receiver, oil cooler, quad shocks, limited slip 8.8 diff. I found a place to buy the sandwich cooler asy, if you couldn't fix yours, but I have to find it..... :)>- -Kevin-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke