Rear window not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spence57

Reaction score
Hello, i have a 95 xlt that i just bought and the rear window doesnt want to go down not by the switch on the dash or on the tailgate. I dont really know where to begin to try and fix it besides fuses which are all good. any ideas??

Krafty

Reaction score
a good place to start is to pull the cover off of the inside of the tailgate and test for power at the motor when the switch is being used. if you have power but no movement then you need a new window motor, if you have no power at all then unplug the saftey switch connected to the tailgate handle ( it keeps it from working when the tailgate is down) if you get power at one of those 2 wires then your saftey switch is bad, and can be bypassed by connecting the two wires together. if you do that leave your self a couple inches of wire off the safety switch incase you decide to replace it and reconnect it.

if you still have no power at any time at both of those locations then you need to look at your wires going into the tailgate on the drivers side, look for exposed wires or anywhere where it could be shorting to the body of the bronco.

do that and report in with us

OP
OP
S

Spence57

Reaction score
Hey i took off the back panel and disconnected the wires going from the truck to the motor and just wired in a car battery and attached it to the motor to see if it even worked. and it does. i looked at the wires going from the body to the tailgate and some were frayed and were shorting on the body. i got that taken care of and attached the motor to the truck again and nothing..... not using the key at the back or the switch on the dash could there be another short somewhere in the dash or something? im thinking of trying a new big silver fuse anyway i believe it is #12.

Krafty

Reaction score
did you look at the saftey switch at the tailgate latch? its suspect number one in these situations.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

96TgateWiring.jpg

96 TG Wiring Diagram

12 & 14 are 20 amp circuit breakers (CB)

#12 serves Power Door Locks, Electronic Shift Motor 4WD, Power Lumbar, Tailgate Power Window, Key Switch a, Power Driver Seat (SuperCab Only)

#14 serves Power Windows, Tailgate Power Window, Instrument Panel Switch

Ck for power on both sides of each

if no feed power, then go to the Power Distribution Box

Box is Located under the hood on the drivers side fenderwell, on driver's side of the air cleaner housing

Diagram in a 95 Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

**** Fuses:

S serves CB 12 plus others

P serves CB 14 plus

===

Here is a Test by Steve83

tgmotorwiring.jpg

Attachments

• 96TgateWiring.jpg
    96TgateWiring.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
S

Spence57

Reaction score
Krafty i connected the two wires off of the safety switch and still nothing. i dont think any power is getting to the motor itself. the power is being lost somewhere. the guy before me must have tested for it too because i can see small holes in the wire at places where he tested. i tested there myself and got no power reading so it must be going somewhere some other thing must be disconnected cause i am not sure what else to do besides just wire something from the battery and put in a toggle switch for an easy solution.

everything else that need 12 and 14 works so i dont believe there is a problem there but thanks miesk5

Krafty

Reaction score
now what you need to do is follow the wires from the tailgate forward and figure out where its going dead. if you can test it working your way up you will eventually find the problem, same if you work from the fuses back ensuring you have power along the path. another typical spot for problems is behind the grommet between the 1/4 panel and tailgate cause thats where dirt rocks and road salt like to gather and hang out for many years.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
look again at my reply and then click on the Test by Steve83

for both switches, connector pin-outs and connector locations, etc.

OP
OP
S

Spence57

Reaction score
thanks guys i got it working there was another short further up then when i saw it the fist time. thanks for your time and posts i appreciate it.

Shncx74

Reaction score
Hello, i have a 95 xlt that i just bought and the rear window doesnt want to go down not by the switch on the dash or on the tailgate. I dont really know where to begin to try and fix it besides fuses which are all good. any ideas??
If you have power at the motor but no movement then the plastic bearings in the gears are toast....remove the motor take the plat off the gear clean all the old grease and chunks of plasit out and replace the bearings with 11mm ball bearings available on amazon replace grease and put it all back together .......i just did this to my 89 broncoits pretty easy takes about an hour

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke