302 or 351 Oil pan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monza

Reaction score
Hi All,

As part of my ongoing overheating adventures I am trying to figure out which oil pan I have.

the PO did a 302 to 351w conversion.

Not sure if he upgraded the pan.

have a look at the pics - any help appreciated.

Dipstick tube has a brass ***** connector.

There is a stamp on the underside which reads "ITE 6675 ??"

Thanks.

Monza. :)>-

pan_photo_01b.jpg

pan_intake_01b.jpg

pan_photo_id_02.jpg

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
No one is responding..,

Soooooo, I'll take a guess. The front **** looks a bit small. It could be a 302., or even a pan fr. a non 4WD.

The new aft. mkt. pans (351) usually have two drain plugs.

Not sure if that can contribute to overheating though. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
No one is responding..,

I get the feeling its just me & you around here...

Maybe I have bad BroncoKarma...

Soooooo, I'll take a guess. The front **** looks a bit small. It could be a 302., or even a pan fr. a non 4WD.

The new aft. mkt. pans usually have two drain plugs.

Okay - so it seems like its too small to be the 351 pan.

I have to assume then, that its the 302 pan... otherwise madness ensues...

Not sure if that can contribute to overheating though. :unsure:

Well - I need a new dipstick (mine got lost) - to make sure I have enough oil in there - so I need to figure the pan.

My concern is that there is too little oil - which could contribute to the heat.

I guess maybe I could buy both Dipsticks and the longer one (351w) will either fit or hit bottom ??
Monza :unsure:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
How funny... :lol:

There's many reasons to have the correct pan... to clear the pumpkin, oil delivery while going down extended hills, fitment to oil pick-up screen, etc.

Shoot an email to one of the EB suppliers.., they may be able to correctly diagnose that pic.

A fluxuating oil press. gage would be an indicator as well.

I would want the proper pan as well as the proper pick-up tube.

69bronc347

Reaction score
you may want to check me on this but i believe the 351 will not swap with the 302 pan, the 351 has different block skirting which makes the block stronger

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
Hold Up.

This is getting wobbly...

SO - we **think** the Pan on there looks too small to be a 351 pan, so it should be 302 pan.

BUT - a 302 pan will NOT fit on a 351w...

Uh oh,

shallow water just got DEEP.

Gulp!

All I know is the PO did a "351w Conversion"

Gotta confess - I dnt quite know what u have to do for a 351 conversion - but I assume its basically swap the Cylinders for Larger ones...

Does that mean that he whilst the displacement increases - the actual block is still the 302 - and doesnt fit a 351 pan ??

Am I anywhere near correct ?

Feel free to kick and punch the idiot :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thx, Monza. :eek:)

Elmo

Reaction score
to swap a 302 for a 351 requires a complete engine swap. 351 is slightly bigger,shaped slightly different. some exterior parts will swap between them. but the bulk of the engines are different. therefore the oilpans are believed to be different. according to JEGS they are different.... different part numbers

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
Post got duplicated ??

I removed it.

Monza.

Elmo

Reaction score
it all boils down to ....if you are sure it is a 351 then it deff has a 351 pan on it. Now the shape and sump location has changed a little from year to year but still a 351 pan will not fit a 302 a 351 intake will not fit a 302. so the pan is on there it is deffinetly a 351 and i myself cant see where the oilpan would have any affect on the engine temp of a stock or slightly modded 351w.

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
it all boils down to ....if you are sure it is a 351 then it deff has a 351 pan on it. Now the shape and sump location has changed a little from year to year but still a 351 pan will not fit a 302 a 351 intake will not fit a 302. so the pan is on there it is deffinetly a 351 and i myself cant see where the oilpan would have any affect on the engine temp of a stock or slightly modded 351w.
Oh man,

I am so not sure its a 351w.

The PO said he did a conversion - who knows *** that means.

The reason I am trying to figure the Pan is cuz I need to order a new dipstick (lost it) - so I can make sure I am running enuf oil.

I am making the **assumption** that if I am running too little oil - it will add to the overheat.

Gettin wound up wit this frikkin dipstick situation.

Monza. :mad:

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
Okay,

I did some digging and heres what the PO said when I bought the truck:

"engine is a rebuilt (2500mls) 351 with the 302 rad, fan and hoses up front."

I know theres a Performer intake and 4bbl Holley on there too.

So if everyone here is correct - and its likely you all are :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The Engine should be a 351w - and the Pan has to be a 351 pan.

SO,

Tell me what I can go look at - or check, to confirm its a 351w Engine in there.

(no smart comments about checking my head from my ass). :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thx,

Monza. :)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
If memory serves., there's a couple visual noticable clues. One is the location of the T-stat housing., possibly something to do with the dizzy., The head thickness., & the overall height the eng. sits in the eng. bay. Other clues are found with measurements.

BUT don't quote me.... :unsure: [-X

Might google "ford V/8 engines" & get the pert. info. to be sure.

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
If memory serves., there's a couple visual noticable clues. One is the location of the T-stat housing., possibly something to do with the dizzy., The head thickness., & the overall height the eng. sits in the eng. bay. Other clues are found with measurments.

BUT don't quote me.... :unsure: [-X

Might google "ford V/8 engines" & get the pert. info. to be sure.
Seems like at least there is NO chance I have a mismatched Pan.

Since the PO was pretty impressed wit his 351 build - I think I'll just go ahead and I just need to figure out which Engine is in there.

That cant be too hard.

Monza

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo