CV Joint woe & question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famvburg

Reaction score
Not quite 2 years ago, I replaced all of the U joints & the CV joint in my rear driveshaft. Yesterday, with maybe 1000 miles since, the CV joint went out. The U joints are fine, but the CV joint is in worse shape than the one I replaced with Lord knows how many miles on it. The front shaft hasn't been touched since I've had it (6+ years) & it's still fine, tho it has some slack. Mine's an ADD, an Almost Daily Driver, so I doubt it has even 1000 miles. I've seen lots of vehicles with just U joints at both ends. My EB isn't jacked up, so could I just have gotten a bad CV joint or what? Could I do away with the CV joint? I found a thread that mentioned a set-up that had had the CV joint removed at some point. What's the purpose of the CV joint in a set-up like the EBs? I don't do any hard mudding or anything really much more than riding around with the top off from April - November & then some during the winter months just to ride or if we have an ice storm, so it's not 'rode hard & put away wet'. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
the Ujoints are cheap and easy to install. Our sponsor, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard http://broncograveyard.com/bronco?search=ujoint , sells good quality joints. Plus, he offers a 2% discount for on line orders from members of BZ. When ordering, enter discount code BZMEMBER and include your BZ user id in the order.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
F

famvburg

Reaction score
Ironically, JBG is where these came from. I'll just hope I got a bad one this time, 'cause regardless of how easy they are to change, I don't think I should have to change them in such a short time.

the Ujoints are cheap and easy to install. Our sponsor, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard http://broncograveyard.com/bronco?search=ujoint , sells good quality joints. Plus, he offers a 2% discount for on line orders from members of BZ. When ordering, enter discount code BZMEMBER and include your BZ user id in the order.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi 'burg...

You still haven't filled in your info. pages so, don't know where you are...but...,

if I were you., I'd stop by & talk to the local driveline shop & see if they can give you a clue. Maybe they've seen some bad ones out of the box, etc.

I've only done 1 & I found it doable (at home) but a bit tricky. :blush:

OP
OP
F

famvburg

Reaction score
Not long after I posted this, I dropped the rear shaft & between preparing for the Great Miss. River Flood of 2011, work, & summer temps getting really hot, I drove around with the front axle locked in. With slightly better temps last week, I tore into my CV joint. The u-joints are fine, but the 'bearing cup' that rieds inside the assembly was gone. GONE completely! There as one little piece of spring left. The 'pin' that fits in it is a little scarred, but that was all. Anyway, I replaced the spring & cup & put everything back together. I'm just surprised that what came apart did so.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke