Engine and transmission replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillB

Reaction score
I'm deploying for a year and have some time to get my bronco updated. I want to make my 72 a daily driver that is reliable and economical. Any recommendations on motors and transmissions? I'm currently running the factory 302 and 3 speed. Would like to improve gas mileage for my 40 mile daily commute. Budget is around 7k.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Bill.., Welcome & thank you for your service...!

1st., where are you., what type of terrain..? What mileage RU getting now.?

What gearing in the rear..?

Filling in your info. pages will help us help you... >:D< <'>

It's likely the time, effort, expense involved won't net you enough gain with a flat faced 4x4. Meaning, even if you improved 3-5 mpg...it would take many yrs. to make up the $$ spent.

How long B4 you deploy....? this swap isn't a quick & easy project.

69bronc347

Reaction score
ok if you are looking for mileage and aren't stuck on the v8, then i would try the ford 2.3 turbo 4 cylinder. i dont believe any body has done this that i know of but it would be economical and somewhat cheap. they are a fuel injected engine and they provide a decent amount of power. they were avilable in mustangs, t-birds and a vehicle called a merkur. not sure if the bellhousing fits sbf, but im sure the bellhousing for the 2.3 fits the ford tranys. as for trans i would go with a manual and overdrive for economy reasons. if you got the money a nv3500. the swap i believe would be under your 7k limit if you do the work yourself. parts should be fairly easy to find, and fuel injection is reliable

hate it if you want but i might get a second eb just to do this

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane