Dana 20 breakage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tufenuf

Reaction score
I am having an issue with keeping Dana 20 together. Bought my 74 in 03 and the next year swapped out the tired 302 for a 400 hp Windsor with a Coan manual body C4 in 04. Since I have been breaking t cases almost every year. I run it on the dunes 12 weekends out of the year and it sees low lock on the dunes almost exclusivly. First one lasted a couple of years and then gave up the ghost. Put a used one in and it lasted a year in a half. Used the two and made one and that lasted a year. Bought a rebuilt unit from a big Bronco parts dealer not to be named until I find out if they are going to do anything for me about them not putting the needle bearings where the output shaft goes into the rear output which caused a wicked side load and tore the case up along with the idler shaft gear. Still can't believe with someone with a name like they have that this would happen but it did. So I bought another used unit and ran it the rest of the year last year.

Pulled it apart this spring and it was eating up the front ****** washer so I replaced and hoping that it makes it the whole sand season. Anyone having this problem? There is no in between when it is ran, either turned off or the loud peddle on the floor. I have thought about the Atlas but that is not an option due to cost right now. Help!

69bronc347

Reaction score
i wouls check the output of the trans, it sounds like it may be too long and putting too much pressure on the t-case which would cause problems

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi tuf..,

"..if they are going to do anything for me about them not putting the needle bearings where the output shaft goes into the rear output which caused...."

Check me on this., but isn't that supposed to be checked/insp. at the time of mating to the adaptor...? Aren't they (bearings) held in place with grease 'til the shaft is slid in thus holding them in place..?

Having your rigs info. page filled in (6+ yrs. & counting) :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> could lead to clues to your issues.. >:D< <'>

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I am having an issue with keeping Dana 20 together. Bought my 74 in 03 and the next year swapped out the tired 302 for a 400 hp Windsor with a Coan manual body C4 in 04. Since I have been breaking t cases almost every year. I run it on the dunes 12 weekends out of the year and it sees low lock on the dunes almost exclusivly. First one lasted a couple of years and then gave up the ghost. Put a used one in and it lasted a year in a half. Used the two and made one and that lasted a year. Bought a rebuilt unit from a big Bronco parts dealer not to be named until I find out if they are going to do anything for me about them not putting the needle bearings where the output shaft goes into the rear output which caused a wicked side load and tore the case up along with the idler shaft gear. Still can't believe with someone with a name like they have that this would happen but it did. So I bought another used unit and ran it the rest of the year last year.

Pulled it apart this spring and it was eating up the front ****** washer so I replaced and hoping that it makes it the whole sand season. Anyone having this problem? There is no in between when it is ran, either turned off or the loud peddle on the floor. I have thought about the Atlas but that is not an option due to cost right now. Help!
adding 400 hp though a auto too a dana 20 will never last they where designed for maybe tops 200 hp and not for speed in the dunes remate with a 205 it will last longer or maybe your foot is overly heavy try a lighter shoe haha

BBB

OP
OP
T

tufenuf

Reaction score
adding 400 hp though a auto too a dana 20 will never last they where designed for maybe tops 200 hp and not for speed in the dunes remate with a 205 it will last longer or maybe your foot is overly heavy try a lighter shoe haha

BBB
That is what I have heard but could not imagine a gear drive would come apart. live and learn. I have heard that guys are replacing the ****** washer with some kind of bearing but I am not sure how true that is?

Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
T

tufenuf

Reaction score
Hi tuf..,

"..if they are going to do anything for me about them not putting the needle bearings where the output shaft goes into the rear output which caused...."

Check me on this., but isn't that supposed to be checked/insp. at the time of mating to the adaptor...? Aren't they (bearings) held in place with grease 'til the shaft is slid in thus holding them in place..?

Having your rigs info. page filled in (6+ yrs. & counting) :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> could lead to clues to your issues.. >:D< <'>
When purchased the output shaft was already installed so I assumed, which you know what they say about that, that the bearings were installed and correct. The bearings are held in with grease if they are installed. Not sure what your question is at the end with rigs info page but thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
T

tufenuf

Reaction score
i wouls check the output of the trans, it sounds like it may be too long and putting too much pressure on the t-case which would cause problems
When I took it to Coan they wanted to know everything I had right down to lifters, rockers pistons, gears, t-case, tires so they could build the stock trans to make it work right. I definitely feel they are miles above the Bronco parts store in setting things up right. That is a great reply and it is making me think. This is a great site and I am really thankful of the feedback. Maybe if I can pick the right six numbers I can put a Atlas in!

What is involved in putting a 205 in?

Thanks again!

69bronc347

Reaction score
here's the thing, i dont believe ford ever put a 205 behind the c4, so that rules out oem, and i checked all the eb sites and advanced adapters and there is no adapters from a c4 to a 205. but there are adapters for atlas and a few other transfer cases. in my opinion i think the dana 20 is pretty reliable, i know you have your issues, but i have a dana 20 and my vehicle dyno'd at 378 horse and 430 torque at the wheels, and i take my to the dunes in walden co all the time and im up playing in the mountians non stop. its been 3 years since i've built the engine and have had the eb running, and i've had no issues yet. watch i say this and mine blows up next week.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke