stock heads to swap to the gt40 or 40p help fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 86 fsb with a 302 efi. Pulled my heads to have them rebuilt due to bad valve but to my dismay. Not only did I have a chipped valve but a cracked head. So now that I'm doin it all. Does anyone know for sure without a doubt if the gt40 or gt40p heads will bolt on without any mods to my current motor. Lookin to bolt on and go. Thank u all for any help

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

read this info I posted here last Dec;

http://broncozone.com/topic/21233-1993-bronco-351w-heads/

GT40 Heads Summary

"I can use my exsisting exhaust manifolds." Yes

if you want to use these on a 351 that you have to ream the head bolt holes out to 1/2" since the 302 size is 7/16".

and more on this by SigEpBlue: "...Actually, you'd want to go a little further. I machined mine to 17/32-inch. Nothing worse than a snug-fitting bolt in a casting. Crack, boom...& For the general DIY'er, the regular GT40 head is probably the easier option. Better? I don't think so, but it depends upon many intangible things."

Read about the Air Pump ports; some have them, some don't

GT40P heads

"The gt40p's I would have to change headers because of the spark plug angle." Yes

it's plug angle is not ideal with stock exhaust manifolds

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
Hey. Thank you for that. It helps me ask the specific right questions. I don't know everything bout my truck so here are my concerns and specific questions

1. May be a stupid question but in that post I read. It talked about no air pump. What is that and where is it located on my 86 302 efi. The gt40 not having it. Will that effect my truck or do I just eliminate mine. Or how does that all work

2. Will my stock exhuast manifolds match right up for sure.

3. My stock intake manifold and pletum will work with those as well? Will I bennefit from swapping in the mustang or explorer intake manifolds along with the gt40 heads.

4. My power steering bracket bolts to the head. With this work with the gt40 heads?

Any other questions I should ask or things I should be aware of?

Thank you all again for any input and help you might have

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, yw

1. May be a stupid question but in that post I read. It talked about no air pump. What is that and where is it located on my 86 302 efi. The gt40 not having it. Will that effect my truck or do I just eliminate mine. Or how does that all work; The folks who installed the GT40 heads said some heads have the Smog Sys air ports and some don't have them; one person who did the GT 40 install in his Bronco said; "...GT 40 heads I have taken from Marine Applications were ported. They obviously were not used and had the (best described as ) "helicoil" style female thread plugs in the tap'd holes. I have had several, in fact just did a pair & installed on my 90. My second pair was not drilled & tap'd on the ends, but in the exhaust ports, the humps & air passages were there. My machine shop offered to drill & tap to accept the air tube, as this pair was "cleaner" then the pair I was going to use, but I traded them in return for my machine work."

dan50 said; "...GT40s came in a lot of vehicles.

1) Late 80s-late 90s marine applications

2) 93 Cobra

3) 94-95 Cobra

4) 96-97 1/4 Explorer/Mountaineer

5) 93-95 Lightning

All land use GT40s came with smog ports in the back, some were plugged up. There were also three different combustion chamber sizes - Cobra, Explorer, and Lightning/Marine. Don't know if Marine heads had smog holes, or if they were just plugged up..."

See the thermactor ports in this aricle;

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/1939_ford_tudor_engine_build/index.html

you'll have to check each for that; the smog (called thermactor) pump will be on passenger side, low

as shown in these diagrams by Ford via Steve83

blockheater.jpg

pic, Bottom View in an 88 5.0 (Click NEXT to view 2nd pic)

Source: by Jem270 at SuperMotors.net

air-pump-bottom-side.jpg

air-pump-bottom.jpg

Operational Description & pic; This pumps fresh air into the exhaust system, to burn left over hydrocarbons, lowering emissions. The computer uses 2 air valves (TAB & TAD) to control where the air flows depending on engine operation. Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) shunts air to the atmosphere, when no air is needed. When air is needed it sends air to the second valve TAD. Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) diverts air either to the exhaust manifold, or directly to catalytic converter. MIESK5 NOTE; If da Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) is Below 50 degrees F, then TAB is grounded & sends air to atmosphere; If Between 50 and 190 Degrees F, Bypass Valve sends air to Diverter and to Manifold; If Over 190 Degrees F, it is in closed loop & Air goes to Catalytic Converter; Bypass when at idle/Wide Open Throttle (WOT), and with failing Oxygen Sensor. The fastest way to see if vehicle is in open loop is to see where the air is going; to Catalytic Converter, it is in Closed Loop; to Atmosphere or Manifold it is in Closed Loop, provided the thermactor system is working

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com My link

2. Will my stock exhuast manifolds match right up for sure.

You can use these on any 289/302/351W engine. All OEM int/exh manifolds will bolt on.

3. My stock intake manifold and pletum will work with those as well? Will I bennefit from swapping in the mustang or explorer intake manifolds along with the gt40 heads.

You can use these on any 289/302/351W engine. All OEM int/exh manifolds will bolt on.

If you're keeping stock exhaust, then save more $ by not getting eoither stang/splorer stuff; or get either if you're upgrading exh sys later, but am not sure if hood clearance will be an issue, prob not.

4. My power steering bracket bolts to the head. With this work with the gt40 heads?

Most accessories brackets bolts on with no problems. A machine shop can make it work if the heads don't have the bosses or holes for the bracketry.

See what needs to bought or done for your Broncos Air Injection system to match up w/the GT40 heads. Aagin, all info is from others.

GL!

OP
OP
F

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
ok so I have done tons of research and know a good amount now. Only 1 question left. Well maybe 2. So I pulled E5TE heads off my truck. Not gonna go to the gt40s as I'm not doing anything to my bottom end and don't want the raised compression to cause other problems like rings or burnin oil and such as I have 210xxx miles on it. I'm going to the similar E7TE heads which everyone says are the same but have personally seen they aren't. (Very minor differences). Only questions are...

1. Can I just use my lifters and push rods and rocker arms I took off mine?

2. And do all the E6TE castings come with the smog port on the back? Or is it optional like the gt40

Thank u again for all help. Much appreciated

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Since the [E6TE was std for about two years (86-87 in your year for the 302EFI (5.8)), the rods, RAs, etc .... should fit. and others have said it has smog ports...and vendors sell smog port plugs... so I guess most of them have ports.

E6TE Info & photos by Mark H

----------------

"... E6TE was used by Ford on both the carburated 460 and the EFI 302 heads in 1986.

The E6TE 460 head, was the standard carburated version and had some minor revisions to the basic castings that appeared to me as some minor revisions of the D3VE nothing more.

The E6TE 302 heads where the "heart" shaped chambered,shrouded valved EFI castings. These heads are usually replaced with the superior E7TE 302 castings

Again, Ford used the E7TE casting numbers for the EFI 302 and the EFI 460.

The E7TE 460 heads featured the raised intake and exhaust ports with 1.94 intake valves and 1.65 exhaust valves..."

by mp40 at http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97875

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
Thank u. Sorry for my mistype though. I have E5TE. I think what ima gonna do is find a used E5TE today if I can. And then take that one and my current passangerside one that's still good to the shop and magnufluxed and washed and checked if all is good. Cause since I'm not doing anything to the bottom of my motor. Any raised compression whether it be rebuilt stock heads or swapping heads could all start to make issues with my bottom end. Thank you for all the knowlege. Wish me luck on finding a match today

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar