96 Rear bucket seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtx1800sba

Reaction score
Hi all. I am brand spanking new to the BroncoZone. I am a former Bronco owner, having owned a 1972 bobtail way long time ago. I will soon be a Bronco owner again as I am working on purcasing a low mileage 1996 Bronco. This will be a family truckster and trail horse. I am wanting to replace the rear bench seat with bucket seats (with belts). Has anyone out there done this? Are there conversion kits available? Please advise.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Welcome to Ya,

I helped a friend put 3 APC racing buckets across the back. They were tight but with the raised rear, it was easy to bolt them through the floor. Just had to reinforce the underside where the bolts came through. ( and be careful where you drill)

With the width back there I'm sure any other 2 seats should fit. Again just be careful where you drill, and good luck

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Reaction score
Welcome to Ya,

I helped a friend put 3 APC racing buckets across the back. They were tight but with the raised rear, it was easy to bolt them through the floor. Just had to reinforce the underside where the bolts came through. ( and be careful where you drill)

With the width back there I'm sure any other 2 seats should fit. Again just be careful where you drill, and good luck
Ron thanks for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it. I noted the rear floor is raised where the bench seat is mounted. Not having crawled under the Bronco to see if the raised portion of the floor is visible or covered by the bottom pan of the vehicle, I am not sure how to reinforce this area. If it is not covered then big washers or similar should do the trick. But if not accessible then I guess I have to drill through the raised floor and the pan. Any ideas? You say be carefull where I drill. Can you be more specific? Also, did the APC seats have lap and shoulder belts? I am thinking of putting just two seats there with a center console.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Been quite a few years but as I remember we drilled and had axcess to the underside pretty easy. No boxing. But where we drilled may be different from where you drill. Just be sure that there isn't any lines or wires, or the fuel tank under there.

We used 3/16" steel stock about 3' square for our reinforcements, but some large thick washers should work too.

WE had a 4 point racing harness on each seat, tied to a roll bar support.

I think you could use the latch bar anchored in the floor to tie the belts to. The shoulder belts are anchored to the floor at the base of the wheel arches. You should be able to reuse them as they sit.

Good Luck

Keep us up to date

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ron thanks for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it. I noted the rear floor is raised where the bench seat is mounted. Not having crawled under the Bronco to see if the raised portion of the floor is visible or covered by the bottom pan of the vehicle, I am not sure how to reinforce this area. If it is not covered then big washers or similar should do the trick. But if not accessible then I guess I have to drill through the raised floor and the pan. Any ideas? You say be carefull where I drill. Can you be more specific? Also, did the APC seats have lap and shoulder belts? I am thinking of putting just two seats there with a center console.
The under side profile is the same as the inside of the cab. You can use a flat piece of steel stock so it has a goof grip on the floor pan. If you check out the way the front seats are reinforced, you will get the idea. Large washers are OK too, but get #8 and use #8 bolts. The only thing that may get in the way is the exhaust system and heat shield, but you can move them out of the way to make the mounting easier. The seats will have to be mounted on rails that will give you approximately the same height as the bench for head room considerations.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Reaction score
Been quite a few years but as I remember we drilled and had axcess to the underside pretty easy. No boxing. But where we drilled may be different from where you drill. Just be sure that there isn't any lines or wires, or the fuel tank under there.

We used 3/16" steel stock about 3' square for our reinforcements, but some large thick washers should work too.

WE had a 4 point racing harness on each seat, tied to a roll bar support.

I think you could use the latch bar anchored in the floor to tie the belts to. The shoulder belts are anchored to the floor at the base of the wheel arches. You should be able to reuse them as they sit.

Good Luck

Keep us up to date
thank you!

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Reaction score
The under side profile is the same as the inside of the cab. You can use a flat piece of steel stock so it has a goof grip on the floor pan. If you check out the way the front seats are reinforced, you will get the idea. Large washers are OK too, but get #8 and use #8 bolts. The only thing that may get in the way is the exhaust system and heat shield, but you can move them out of the way to make the mounting easier. The seats will have to be mounted on rails that will give you approximately the same height as the bench for head room considerations.

Good luck,

:)>-
Thank you!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar