a/c problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralphie86

Reaction score
My a/c isn't blowing cool air but it is blowing air, I hooked up a gauge to it and it was full. We decided to drain it and then refill it, I did that and still the same problem, does anyone know what could be wrong?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Do you see the compressor clutch kick-in when AC is on?

If yes,

then you need to check the temperature blend door.

Temperature is controlled by a manually operated air blend door in the heater air plenum chamber (18471). When the temperature control **** is in the extreme COOL position (fully counterclockwise) all air bypasses the heater core (18476).

When the temperature control **** is moved to the extreme WARM (fully clockwise) position, all air is directed through the heater core. When the temperature control **** is between COOL and WARM (between full counterclockwise and clockwise), air is directed through and bypassing the heater core in rough proportion to the position of the temperature control **** between the extremes of its travel.

Does the door rotate when the temp selector is moved? Check cable

if cable is moving; then most likely, the blend temp door inside the HAVC box. The door is hinged by a piece of flexible plastic, the the film hinges wears out and breaks then it may be in the warm air position.

& "...I found a good one in the junk yard and replaced mine. You have to take most of the dash apart to get to the thing. It takes a while to complete this repair..."

Source: by JDApollo

Or, the cables that connect the slides to the blend doors can kink or come loose. It's most common for the cable to pop out AT the blend door lever, over the passenger footwell,

Or, Outside-Recirc Door is stuck to let in outside air

Overview in 80-86;

"Off - Vacuum is applied to da Outside Recirc Door Vac Motor, closing that door to outside Air.

Normal A/C - Outside-Recirc Door is open to outside air. The panel door directs air to the instr panel registers. This isn't likely unless it is really Hot there.

The Temperature Control Lever moves a cable connected to da Temp Blend Door that mixes heated & un-heated air. In Defrost Mode - No vacuum to any vacuum "motor" (cannisters looking thangs), air Flows to Defroster outlets (& air compr clutch is engergized).

Vent - Outside Recirc Door is open to outside air, as in Normal A/C. Vacuum is applied to the Panel Door Vacuum Motor, letting air flow only to the instr panel registers. In the same way, the defroster outlets are closed by the Floor/Defrost Vacuum Motor.

Floor - The Outside-Recirc Door is Open to outside air. With No Vacuum at the Panel Door Vacuum Motor.

The Panel Door directs air to the floor outlets. Mix - Vacuum is applied only to Port A of the Floor/Defrost Vacuum Motor positioning the Floor/Defrost Door at mid-position. Air Flow is split between the floor & windshield. There is no vac at the Panel Door Vacuum"

Source: by Ford via miesk5

Door Locations Diagram & Overview in an 86; Floor/Defrost, Panel, Temperature Blend (cable controlled), Outside Recirculate Air; in Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) Partial, Bronco for 86; see Pages 141, 142 & 143 Source: by Chris B (Blue, bronco boy) at telus.nethttp://chrisb.users.superford.org/Bronco/Misc/1986_EVTSM_Page_141.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickyb571