Shock mount stud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevel

Reaction score
I was installing 2" coil spring spaceers on my 96 Bronco, and one of the forward lower shock mout studs broke off when trying to tighten the nut back down. How do I replace this stud?

koontreeguy

Reaction score
gonna be a pain in the a55. jack up ur rig and put on jack stands and let the suspension hang. gotta remove the coil springs and the coil spring stud and the stud on the opposite side of the coil stud pointing towards the ground. they're gonna be tough because they're torqued to 250-300 ft/lb I believe. might want to unbolt the radius arm also to aid in putting everything back together. the bracket that the forward shock mount is on should slide out and replace with a new one. might be easier to weld the old stud on or just run 2 shocks in the front.

OP
OP
S

stevel

Reaction score
gonna be a pain in the a55. jack up ur rig and put on jack stands and let the suspension hang. gotta remove the coil springs and the coil spring stud and the stud on the opposite side of the coil stud pointing towards the ground. they're gonna be tough because they're torqued to 250-300 ft/lb I believe. might want to unbolt the radius arm also to aid in putting everything back together. the bracket that the forward shock mount is on should slide out and replace with a new one. might be easier to weld the old stud on or just run 2 shocks in the front.

the stud that broke is the forward one of a dual shock set up. So it's the shock that mounts forward of the coil sproing and axle. Looks like it's pressed into a plate.

koontreeguy

Reaction score
the stud that broke is the forward one of a dual shock set up. So it's the shock that mounts forward of the coil sproing and axle. Looks like it's pressed into a plate.
that's what I'm sayzin- that whole plate comes off like I described, assuming it's the same as an 86. anyone know if they made the dual front mounts the same ?

OP
OP
S

stevel

Reaction score
Ok, I miss read it the first time. Great, that does sound like a real pain. No way to put another stud on that plate, huh?

koontreeguy

Reaction score
it's not the biggest pain and it is a good learning experience I guess. definitely doable in a day. if it were me I'd just run 2 shocks up front an keep the other 2 for spares :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> good luck guy !!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Check out Miesk5's Homepage of Bronco links for info on that lower-front shock stud. It's pressed in from the back side, and not easily replaced as stated. If you are able to weld, a better design is to replace the single stud with a standard rear shock mount lower breacket for more support. If I find some thing in more detail, I'll post it up, JSM84

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17765

The main idea is to box in the lower mount to accept a bolt thru two sides instead of a sinlge stud.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobstrat

Reaction score
pull the wheel off. grind shock mount flush to bracket. if you have access to a torch, poke a hole through the broken mount, ream with a drill and install bolt on replacement from napa.

if you don't have access to a torch it takes a little more drill work.

i had the same problem with mine,

here it is with replacement installed:

shock mount

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

stevel

Reaction score
for some reason I can't open the last link. I'd really like to see the bolt on replacement from NAPA. Do you remember the part number and cost>

bobstrat

Reaction score
for some reason I can't open the last link. I'd really like to see the bolt on replacement from NAPA. Do you remember the part number and cost>
i don't remember the part number, but it was not a ford specific part. it was less than $20. i'll see if i can dig up the part #.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke