Engine Quit Running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Godoy

Reaction score
My friends 1992 E150 6 cylinder van just quit on him while driving on the freeway. While trying to start the engine the engine barely cranks over but if I jumped the Starter Solenoid it would crank over really good but even with the Key in the run position it would not start and run. I replaced the Ignition Switch and Starter Solenoid but that was no help. It is still the same (although slightly better due to the new contacts). I will try to check the codes when I get back out there today. Does anyone have any ideas other then the battery? The battery checks out on a load tester although the voltage does drop to about 8 volts while cranking so I am going to be trying a new battery just in case that is the issue. It seems to me, that it took 9V minimum so fire an electronic ignition. We have been trying to use a battery charger with a start feature.

In any case, I cant do a KOER test because we cant get the engine running. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Joe., welcome..!

RU (the veh.) still out on the side of the fwy. ?

Check for spark at plugs....

---ignition module---

Check for fuel at carb. (or fuel pres. if injected)

---fuel pump---

These are the most likely issues.

Most fords have an inertia cut-off switch but no clue where on vans.

budster 95

Reaction score
sounds like the starter motor cold be drawing to many amps. A bad starter will sometimes turn over better when its cold, and get worse as engine temp rises. You can check to see if the starter gets hot after cranking, if so, i would replace it.

budster 95

Reaction score
Reading back on your post, sounds like you have a couple different issues. Check, and replace starter if bad first, to get it up and crankin again. Let us know whats up. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno