is trans fluid in your oil a good idea to remove sludge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
so this mechanic told me i had a lot of sludge in my oil that was keeping everything from circulating right.he said he got out as much as he could but that i should change the oil and replace two quarts of oil with two quarts of trans fluid which would help break up the sludge and run it like that for a few hundred miles then drain it. he said that would help my oil pressure problem. but every mechanically inclined person i ask about it has never heard of such a thing. some people say do that same method but with sea foam to break up the sludge. So my question is has anyone heard of doing this and if so is it really an effective way to remove sludgy oil and improve circulation? i'm working with an 82 with a 302 if that matters.

EzPc

Reaction score
Yeah I have heard of this before.. it is old school and there is a product on the market that does this... the VW forums talk about it as the TDI passats are notorious for sludge buildup and owners add this product as part of a flushing method... have to look for the link.. will post when I find it..

EzPc

Reaction score
Yeah I have heard of this before.. it is old school and there is a product on the market that does this... the VW forums talk about it as the TDI passats are notorious for sludge buildup and owners add this product as part of a flushing method... have to look for the link.. will post when I find it..
I found the product, its called Auto-RX Have not personally used this stuff yet.. [no need yet] but from the posts I have read at Passatworld.com seems to do the job nicely. My wife's car is a 99 Passat GLX so I frequent that sight when I need to. Hope this helps you...

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
All your mechanically inclined friends must be younger than 50. As EZ said that is an old school method, that works pretty good. Tranny fluid is very high in detergents, and is cheeper than Seafoam, and most of the other dedicated engine cleaners. Tranny fluid was used to clean parts for rebuild, and even was good to clean grease spots from garage floors, (way back in the day).

Use what you want....Seafoam is great in the oil or gas, but us geezers still believe in the tranny fluid!

Good Luck

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
One good way to use it is to drain your oil, change the filter and fill it with transmission fluid, then crank and let it idle for a while, 30 minutes or so, but do not gun it or drive it around, just let it idle. Transmission fluid does not have the additives that motor oil has to lubricate, so it is not intended for use like that. After it runs, drain it while still hot, change the filter, and put in the oil. I would say don't go more than 1000 miles before changing both again, just to finish getting the TF out.

Bufford in Orlando

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom