Fuel line connectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

budster 95

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the new fuel tank. The fuel line connectors do not stay on, they just slide back off at the pump, and fuel filter. I see little clips inside the connectors, they are bent inward. Can they be bent back outward? Or should they be replaced?

Krafty

Reaction score
would you be able to provide a picture of your connectors because there are two types of high pressure connectors used, the black plastic with the removable clip, or the metal ones with the circular spring that requires a special tool to remove.

also I don't understand what would be bent.

thanks and good luck.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

As Krafty Mentioned, a pic would help, but I think I can throw a guess in there for now since you have it all apart and may need to run it soon.

fuelpumpfitting.jpg

by Steve82 in 92-96; "...If the fingers are not free of the catch ring before the tool is inserted (Step A), they may be bent (Step B) permanently locking the coupling together. If this happens, the coupling can sometimes be forcibly separated, but this severely damages the bail. With some effort, a small pick tool can be inserted between the filter ****** & the coupling (Step C) and the bail can be removed from the coupling (Step D). After the filter is removed, the bail can be bent back into shape & reinstalled into the coupling to receive the new filter..."[/b]

and a little too late for you, but ofr next times, esp on da filter;

"Before attempting to disconnect the fuel lines, read this"

Push the fuel line HARD onto the fitting (pump or filter) to relieve the catches, & rotate it to break the O-rings loose. While holding it on the fitting, insert the release tool as far as it will go (this one isn't there yet) to open the catches. While holding the tool HARD against the stop ring, work the line off the fitting. It may be necessary to rinse the dirt out of the line end to allow the catches to open.

fuelfittings.jpg

OP
OP
B

budster 95

Reaction score
I have the metal ones that require the special tool. I got the right tool, and got the lines off fairly easy. But there is a sort of spring steel cage {for lack of a better term} inside the connector. This part locks on to the line, so it wont back off. The tabs are depressed inward from the removal tool. I found that the parts are very inexpensive, and easy to replace. Two different sizes are used, 10.5mm and 13mm. $4.95 at Napa for a pack of 6.

I will be installing them today, and i will post pics asap. As always appreciated, thank you guys for the input.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo