2wd swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
I am looking at a 89 that has some mechanical issues to do a 2wd swap,most on here are probably thinking I am crazy to do this but since I dont do any off road driving I want one for good car and use it like a station wagon and lower it a bit,I was looking at the bronco and my 95 F150 and from what I seen it looks like I can just unbolt the 4X4 parts and bolt in 2wd parts. Are there any differences in the crossmember under the motor and the part the shocks and springs bolt on that I cant see that would prevent me from doing the swap.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Jeff,

WELCOME!

It's been done before in later year Broncos, Swap the entire front suspension in as they did at Ford

del front driveshaft and prob swap in engine, tranny and del Xfer case?

Lightning Bronco (93?), 2 WD Article; Part 1 Source: by Todd K in Sport Truck at austin.rr.com/cherico via web.archive

Lightning Bronco (93?), 2 WD Article; Part 2 Source: by Todd K in Sport Truck at austin.rr.com/cherico via web.archive

and some others;

Info & pics in a 94 by ROBSLXTASY (90 Griggs LX)

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-lightnings/202860-paint-job-do-you-guys-like-better.html

"...I know I will catch some flak for this but I figured I would post updates of project even though nobody else here cares to lower a bronco.. heh heh.. I got so attached to the 94 lightning but needed more space so heres what I ended up with so far. Bought my buddies wrecked 95 lighting with 88K miles and swapped the entire drivetrain and suspension, and the seats and steering wheel and sold of the rest of the truck for what I paid for it.. ..Now I just have to figure out why the truck studders at idle and when i first get into the gas??has the lighting 351 with tfs heads, 5.0 cam advanced 4 degrees, with roller cam setup, long tubes, gt-40 intake, 19lb injectors, with factory mass air..."

===========

a pic of one lowered by Chris B @ http://www3.telus.net/cbradley/Bruce%27s_Lowered_79.jpg

and in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=729

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
I wish Ford would have offered that option like GM and Chrysler did and a bronco looks sweet slightly lowered,I am looking for one that needs front differential work to do the swap and the one I found locally did have some differential damage but got repaired and might need a motor. If I ever get a 4X4 it will be a full size truck so I could really haul stuff in it and I plan to use the bronco as a station wagon and daily driver.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
I've been wanting to lower my beast too, Jeff.

Nothing slammed, just a couple inches lower. I never go off road either, but want to keep my 4WD capabilities.

Let us know what you come up with on the engineering. I may want to steal some ideas...lol.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
I passed on the one locally as it will require a total restoration but found another that has decent paint but needs the motor hooked back up,if I can sell a car or two I could buy a real nice one to start with and just change the suspension and be done. I got too many projects to get one that needs too much and the local one did not run good and the paint was bad and a trashed interior,it was originally from Texas but if I can sell some stuff I would have the money to fly out west and drive one home.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
I have bought a 88 and today bought the complete front suspension from a 87 to 91 F150 that has the front sway bar and will be getting a 2wd AOD that has a fresh rebuild tomorrow,after the first of the month the swap begins and will take pics of the progress.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
Its finally going to get lowered,a couple years ago I picked up a set of dropped beams and flip kit for the rear but they were for 82 to 86 spindles and balljoints so I stopped and was hoping to find a set of used dropped beams for a 87 to 96 but none shown up,the local U pull has a 86 so since it uses the same calpiers will grab then next weekend and start shopping for someone to do a C notch on the frame.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of spindles from the 86 and next week its going in the garage and coming apart,going to start on the rear first then the front.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
Life got in the way this summer and have only used it to pull the fishing boat so I decided next march when the tags expire its coming off the road so I can lower it and possibly do a manual trans conversion if I can find all the parts,I was building a 95 F150 this summer for a winter beater so that took most of my spare time since it needed a trans and had a few rusty frame brackets.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
It seems like its starting to take longer to get things done,I have been working on the 95 since march and finally finished all the repairs it needed. First it needed a trans which took over a month to find and the local U pull yard got one in so I grabbed it,then I had to put a exhaust on it and had to figure out the stumble in the motor which turned out to be a bad speedo then replace one spring pocket,one radius arm and both rear spring mounts. The truck at the U pull yard that donated the trans had new rear spring mounts and shackels so it came off easy and tonight I finally got around to replacing the parking brake cables which required me to cut the drums off which I had in stock,sunday I installed a engine heater for the winter months. 20 years ago I would had all that done in a week. I am going to start working on the bronco in the spring and if it takes me until fall it will be no big deal since I have plebty of vehicles to drive.

jesykes

Reaction score
If life is too busy, you could just buy one.  http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5288326200.html

00101_7C2EQwlGtD6_600x450.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
Trying to find a 5 speed to swap in,the AOD should not been rebuilt and is making a buzzing sound so I am thinking 5 speed but none to be found yet.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
Still never got it lowered and took it on its longest trip today and its getting right at 15 on the highway,the new fuel sending unit I put in it a few years ago when I converted to a single fuel pump system quit working so since it has a full tank I am going to cut a hole in the floor to fix it.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
After driving it for a few years I decided it heeds a bigger motor or a gear change,even with 3.55 gears the 31 inch tall tires makes that little 302 a little sluggish and since I have almost everything in stock for a gear change it will get a gear change. I have a 9 inch from a 82 F150 and 3.70 gears from a 69 F100 so they wil be going togather soon and will have to find a speedo gear for 3.73 gears to be close to accurate and will probably need a U joint for two sizes,would like to have a 351 but the 302 runs good and will stay since I do not have the money for a motor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke