locker or lsd for my rear axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
i want more traction when rock crawling my 94, i have an open rear now and i do ok until a tire lifts, i do live in pa so i drive in snow and its my daily driver should i get a limited slip like the detroit trutrac or eaton posi? or should i get a full time locker?

Seabronc

Reaction score
If it is your daily driver, you don't want a full time locker. As to which brand locker, I'll leave that up to some one that is wiser than me.

Good luck,

:)>-

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I agree with Seabronc, as a fully-locked rear or even a locker such as the Detroit can have trouble turning on pavement and can be scary on snow or ice. The TrueTrac is a gear-driven limited slip (L/S), and will cost about $440-$450. I prefer it over the factory L/S Dana Trac-Lok, which will only cost about $300 from BG. If you do more than 50% driving offroad, I would lean toward the TrueTrac. But if you drive more often on the street, the normal Trac-Lok would be a better choice, even though it's not quite as strong. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

wileec

Reaction score
I like my Detroit locker it pops a bit on the street but not bad. I have not had much snow driving this year (no snow in CO?)If youare rock crawling I would say a full locker would be best. Maybe save a bit more and get an ARB? I sometimes wish I had done that, the locked rear makes some stuff too easy.

OP
OP
H

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
how do i figure out how many splines my axle shafts are without taking them out? the rear axle is out of a f150 its an open rear thats about all i no from the last guy who gave me the axle cause my tracloc blew up

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The Ford F-150 and Bronco series 8.8" axles use standard 31-spline axle shafts. In my experience, the Lock-Right is not as strong as the Trac-Lok, but they do claim install can be done in about an hour. If you have already 'grenaded' a factory Trac-Lok while rock crawling, then you prolly need the TrueTrac or Detroit Locker. Most of the problems I've run into with the factory L/S has been due to worn clutches, or a few trips down the drag strip. JSM84

OP
OP
H

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
i killed it from doing burnouts with 33s prolly, i just need somthing that will lock up when one wheel is off the ground or slipping, i dont beat my truck anymore since i wrecked the last rear, i drive like an old man now hahaha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke