truck will not start with key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MACIOCE

Reaction score
i have a 88 ford bronco with a 351 i replaced starter, relay and ignition switch but will not start with key what could be the problem

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone >:D< <'> . Post some pictures when you get a chance. Also include your truck vitals in your signature. You will find that in your profile.

Check for 12 volts at the start relay red with blue stripe wire when the key is in the START position. If not there then you probably have a problem with the Neutral safety switch. On an Auto trany, it is on the left side of the transmission. On a manual trany it is on the clutch pedal.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Do we have a cranks but don't start problem?

OR

Do we have a turn the key, but it doesn't crank situation?

Please give us some additional information to work on.

TheBigBronc

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Replaced alternator but when i turn the key over i dont even get a sound.. i soon diagnosed it to be short in a wire relaying the signal to the ignition. I figured out how to start my truck was on the selenoid on the passenger side just behind the battery i have to make the electric connection with ***** drivers. First turn the key over so the battery is on and then i have to touch one ***** drive to one of the copper bolts and another ***** driver to the other copper bolt and then cross the ***** drivers to complete the connection. It starts like a champ. Been starting it like this for a month.

are you getting any noise at all when you turn the key over?

Good luck hopefully this helps!

Seabronc

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Replaced alternator but when i turn the key over i dont even get a sound.. i soon diagnosed it to be short in a wire relaying the signal to the ignition. I figured out how to start my truck was on the selenoid on the passenger side just behind the battery i have to make the electric connection with ***** drivers. First turn the key over so the battery is on and then i have to touch one ***** drive to one of the copper bolts and another ***** driver to the other copper bolt and then cross the ***** drivers to complete the connection. It starts like a champ. Been starting it like this for a month.

are you getting any noise at all when you turn the key over?

Good luck hopefully this helps!
Have you ever checked to see if you have 12V on the red with blue striped wire when the key is in start? Or if the actual ignition switch is operating when you turn the key? That problem can be any where from the ignition switch adjustment, connection to/or neutral safety switch, bad start relay or broken wire. In any case it is a relatively easy fix.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MACIOCE

Reaction score
i put new ignition switch and all that and had to run a push button start to drive and when i start the truck with push button i can shut it off with the key

tan&brown-bronco

Reaction score
i used a toggle switch i drilled holes in the fire wall and ran three wires form the solenoid to a toggle switch and i placed it underneath the steering wheel you still need to turn the ignition switch on then when there is power you hit the toggle switch and it turns on when it turns on you must qucikly turn of the toggle switch so you dont keep sending power to the starter but your bronco will still stay running when you want to turn it off just turn the key off like you normally would this is a very simple fix and requires about 20 dollars to fix that includes heavy gage wire connectors and toggle switch you need to find a toggle switch with an off and on position or you could even use a push button type what ever you think fits your situation hope this helps

Duncan

Reaction score
You say all the electrical bits seem to work ok. When you turn the key to start with the lights on do the lights go out or dim severely? Does the starter solenoid chatter? If the lights do not dim more than slightly and the starter does not turn you've got an issue in the starter circuit. If the lights go out you've either got a bad battery or the battery terminals are corroded. If the battery had a cracked bus bar or bad connection at the cable posts the lights will go out because the starter will drag down the vehicle voltage at the battery. If the lights and other accessories work fine during the start attempt the starter is not loading the system. I'd check the connection at the starter and the heavy ground lead going from the engine to the body. Put a voltmeter between the engine block and the negative terminal of the battery, with positive on the engine block. If during a start attempt you see more than a volt on the meter you've got too much resistance in the engine ground circuit. Disconnect the battery, take off the ground strap ends, clean off any paint or corrosion on the connection points, and reconnect. If the starter is accessible put a voltmeter between the large stud (main lead) and the positive terminal of the battery, positive on the battery. If the voltage shows more than a volt when attempting to start you've got a bad main lead from the battery. While you're down at the starter put a meter on the smaller solenoid lead which switches on the solenoid. You should see battery voltage (or close) when attempting to start. If the voltage is not there you have a soleniod circuit issue through the key switch and clutch switch. If the voltage is there during start check the starter case, it should be zero (cross check on the ground strap.) If you have 12V on the solenoid lead and a good ground you've got an open solenoid. If the soleniod energizes (loud clack) but the starter does not turn, and you have 12V on the starter main lead and 0V on the starter case, the solenoid contacts or starter motor is bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar