Still no turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadkingg

Reaction score
Hey all, I need some advice. I've replaced my turn signal switch and flasher due to my turn signals not working.

After the install of the new switch the turn signals still don't work. Fuse is fine. The 4 ways do function as does the horn - I'm assuming my new switch is fine. My old switch was physically broken.

I've attached the only wiring diagram I have and my question is this: Should the LT Blue wire coming from the flasher be hot all the time,when the key is on, or only when the turn signal is activated.

Please excuse my wiring ignorance. :wacko:

wire.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Krafty

Reaction score
Mind telling us What year your bronco is?

your signals and horn are on different circuits. Should be fuse # 5 signals and backup lights. do your reverse lights work?

OP
OP
roadkingg

roadkingg

Reaction score
Sorry about that. 86 model- not sure about the backup lights.The diagram is for an 86 too.

I want to check voltage at the turn signal switch at the wheel and the connector on the harness to troubleshoot this. That's where my question about the blue wire from the flasher came from.

Krafty

Reaction score
I just want to be sure that your were looking at the right fuse. because the horn is on fuse #16 and is in no way related to your signal issue, but you made it seem like you thought they shared the fuse.

there should be constant power on the one side of the flasher ( with key on) and im guessing the flasher works by flashing when the circuit is grounded. so to answer your question the wire at the switch that comes from the flasher should only be hot when the key is on. and if you test it and my guess is correct the voltage should "flash" on the meter the same as the signal lights should. the switch only controls which side of the truck to complete the circuit on.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I agree with Krafty, on how that circuit works.

Remember the other half of a circuit is a ground. On my '90 the ground for most of that circuit is at the left upper radiator support. Make sure that is clean and tight.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Here is a better diagram of the circuit from the EVTM, those Chilton diagrams ****. If you are going to do your own maintenance I'd suggest you get an EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) which is part of a larger set of service manuals. You can usually find them on eBay. A quick search produced this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-FORD-BRONCO-F150-F250-F350-ELECTRICAL-VACUUM-EVTM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem25613a7cb7QQitemZ160545012919QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature . Here is a real bargain on the other two main shop manuals http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Shop-Manual-1986-Body-Chassis-Electrical-Bronco-Truck-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e64fe105QQitemZ360346280197QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature .

As you can see the grounding is done after the lights, the switch only completes the circuit. I would check the voltage at the switch itself on the blue wire. As previously stated, that should be hot at all times when the key switch is in the RUN position.

Good luck,

:)>-

PG6.jpg

PG8.jpg

PG46.jpg

PG48.jpg

PG15.jpg

OP
OP
roadkingg

roadkingg

Reaction score
Thanks again SeaBronc. Your diagrams were just what I needed. I have turn signals now, the wife is happy!

OP
OP
roadkingg

roadkingg

Reaction score
The original owner had apparently encountered a melted #9 fuse for the blower motor which left that slot useless in the block.

To repair, he had cut the #687 Gray/Yellow wire from the back of the fuse block and spliced it with an inline fuse to the #181 Brown/Orange wire which powered the blower. When he did that, he de-powered the turn-signal/backup light circuit as this disconnected power to the # 5 fuse and the #298 Purple /Orange wire which is located behind the fuse block.

I put in a new terminal block for the 3 connections #687 Gray/Yellow,#181 Brown/Orange,#298 Purple /Orange along with another inline fuse for the turn signal/backup light circuit and all was fine.

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
Just to throw my 2 cents in,

I couldnt figure out why my turn signals were not working at one point. The left turn signal would work but the right turn signal would not, and the right turn signal indicator was always on, it was not clicking/flashing, it was just on. i finally figured out the problem...The way the bulbs fit in the socket/pigtail, you push the bulb in and twist to lock it in place. But! If you push the bulb in too far and then twist, it will still lock in place, but it will give you the symptoms i described. Just an FYI.. if anyone experiences the problem that i had..now u know!

B-Co Kid

F

First time bronco 2 owner

So i just bought my first bronco 2 it's and 88 and the turn signals work but do not flash.. I believe the owner before the person I bought the bronco straight wired the turn signal so they stay solid and do not blink.. how can I fix this issue and what can I do.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo First Time,

Welcome!

Turn signals light, but do not flash 8852DC1.gif Check that flasher is in securely in place and/or replace flasher.

Both the turn signal flasher and the hazard warning flasher are mounted on the fuse panel on the truck. To gain access to the fuse panel, remove the cover from the lower edge of the instrument panel below the steering column. First remove the two fasteners from the lower edge of the cover. Then pull the cover downward until the spring clips disengage from the instrument panel.

The turn signal flasher unit is mounted on the front of the fuse panel, and the hazard warning flasher is mounted on the rear of the fuse panel.

Use a regular flasher, not a heavy duty unit.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke