Shock bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 Bronco XLT

Reaction score
Hello, I am cleaning up some double shock towers and I would like to remove the shock bushings to better clean the metal for rust bullet. May I ask if anyone knows how to replace the shock bushings? Or even remove them so they may be reinstalled. I cant find any info on them. The stock ones look heavy duty and I dont want to remove w/o knowing how to reinstall them. The last thing I need is another $3.00 part holding up my mini-restore. Thanks,

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Are you are refering to the front upper mounts and bushings?

If so you only need to remove the upper nut and metal washer. Channel locks are good to use on the top of the shock rod if it is turning while trying to remove the nut. The rubber bushing comes off with a little twisting. Then push down the rod and tube and remove the rubber and washer on the underside of the mounting point.

The lower bushings if part of the shock are non removable. You would need to buy new shocks.

OP
OP

95 Bronco XLT

Reaction score
I am referring to the shock bushings that insert into the shock tower bracket. I attached a pic of the specific bushing to help clarify. I ended up applying rust bullet on top of them yesterday. If anyone has a tip on how to remove and install these shock tower bushings it would be most appreciated.

shock bushing.jpg

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
That bushing is a factory "machine press fit" attempting to remove it would most likely cause damage to the surrounding metal.

It looks in good shape in the pic. Most of the time a wire wheel on a drill or media blasting cleans them up like new.

Why do you need to remove it?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke