New engine Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
A few weeks ago my Broncos 302 kicked the bucket. I am having a mechanic put in a remanufactured engine. It is 302 efi bored .30 over my concern is my other motor was a police 302 and i dont want to go to less hp. I have 35 inch tires with stock gears. My other 302 had some problems with the 35's but i want to keep them. WHat are some mods or chips that could go onto the remanufactured engine that would give it more power withought me having to mess with the computer? or do you the a 302 bored .30 over will give it sufficient power? also he says that a preformance cam or different heads would not work unless i had a chip but they dont make one for my year model. My truck is a 95 ford bronco.

budster 95

Reaction score
Think about how small 30 thousands of an inch is. It doesnt do much for displacement at all. But a matched cam, Throttle body, manifold, and heads,would give you more horsepower. Also you could have raised your compression with domed pistons. This is what was probably done in the police interceptor. I would say 9.5 to one is a good ratio for pump gas. Good luck, happy trails

budster 95

Reaction score
Get the engine numbers, and our good friend Miesk5 might have info on that. The performance modifications i mentioned are great if you have an unlimited amount of cash to burn, but the overall objective is to make the engine breath better. One fairly inexpensive way to do that is install a K&N breather/air cleaner kit. Adds a little performance, looks good under the hood too. Its a nice Mod. to start with.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Most Police Package Broncos use the 351W for the power plant. I'm not saying your motor isn't original to the truck but I would def check to see if the numbers match.

I'm not sure they will. I think what might have happened was the original motor needed to be replaced and a 302 was used instead of the 351W.

Like budster 95 said, get the numbers. The VIN # with a simple Google search will be able to tell you a lot about the truck.

OP
OP
B

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
Today i am going to the shop and i will get the vin off my truck and il try and find some other identification on it. WOuld the computer on my truck be different than a civilians 95 bronco since it was a police?

Krafty

Reaction score
VIN: 1FMEU15N2SLB72631

World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions

VIN Code: 1FM

Assembly Country: UNITED STATES

Make: Ford

Body Style: Sport Utility Vehicle

Restraint System Type (Passenger Cars) or Brake Type and GVWR Class (Trucks and Vans) - 4th Position

VIN Code: E

Brake System: STANDARD

GVWR Class:

GVWR Range: 6,001 - 10,000 Pounds

Line,Series Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions

VIN Code: U15

Vehicle Line: Bronco

Series: U100

Vehicle Type: Truck

Engine Type - 8th Position

VIN Code: N

Engine: 5.0 L

Cylinders: 8

Fuel: Gasoline

Model Year - 10th Position

VIN Code: S

Model Year: 1995

Assembly Plant - 11th Position

VIN Code: L

Assembly Plant: MICHIGAN TRUCKS, MICHIGAN

Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th

VIN Code: B72631

Prod Sequence Number B72631

Additional Information

Wheel Axles Wheelbase 210.0

Seabronc

Reaction score
You may find the original build sheet under the passenger side rug, generally in front of the seat but sometimes behind it. Also, you can get the info from Ford, (800)-392-2673.GIVE THEM YOUR VIN# . Not sure if the one from that Ford number is as complete as the original. Also get the numbers off your computer and do a Google search to see what it comes up with.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good luck,

:)>-

Krafty

Reaction score
I don't believe the computer would have been modified and would/ should just be a plug and play with your new 302.

one thing you might want to look at is changing your gears for the 35's, I noticed even going from stock to 33 was alot harder on the engine.

being as the bronco goes that bit farther in every rotation of the wheels it greatly reduces RPM at highway speed, more often then not just below the power band which makes it run like a dog. if you want to be able to use your OD without killing your trans and your mileage you might want to consider switching up the gears front and rear.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke