2150 Carb Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thesprocket

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 78 Bronco 351M. After it warms up and I can take my foot off the gas pedal due to the choke cable either broke or was cut by the p.o. Leaving me with no idea where it even attaches. The idle is very very high while in park. It is around 650 to 700 rpms in drive. As soon as it is shifted back into Neutral or Park it goes back up to very high.

Seabronc

Reaction score
What do you mean by very high 11 to 13 hundred? The in gear idle could probably be brought down to 550 - 600 as long as there is nothing heavy duty that will cut in while there. If you bring your hot idle down in gear, that will also bring the neutral idle down. If you have a manual choke kit on it, it is attached to the left side as looking from the front of the truck. It originally would probably have had an electric choke. The Hot idle adjustment is at the bottom of the carb behind the throttle lever.

If you need it, I'll put the entire 2150 section of my service manual up tomorrow.

Good luck,

OP
OP
T

thesprocket

Reaction score
What do you mean by very high 11 to 13 hundred? The in gear idle could probably be brought down to 550 - 600 as long as there is nothing heavy duty that will cut in while there. If you bring your hot idle down in gear, that will also bring the neutral idle down. If you have a manual choke kit on it, it is attached to the left side as looking from the front of the truck. It originally would probably have had an electric choke. The Hot idle adjustment is at the bottom of the carb behind the throttle lever.

If you need it, I'll put the entire 2150 section of my service manual up tomorrow.

Good luck,
Yes it runs about 1100 to 1300 rpms when she warms up and in park. I adjusted the idle down in park but shift into gear and it dies. I tried to find a medium between the two but it feels like it is going to die at stop lights. Is it normal for it to run like this. I have no electrical wiring going to the carb. So I don't think it is an electric choke. This doesn't mean it's not. Half the wires on it have been cut for some reason. Even oil pressure and temp.

The 2150 Manual might would help.

Thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yes it runs about 1100 to 1300 rpms when she warms up and in park. I adjusted the idle down in park but shift into gear and it dies. I tried to find a medium between the two but it feels like it is going to die at stop lights. Is it normal for it to run like this. I have no electrical wiring going to the carb. So I don't think it is an electric choke. This doesn't mean it's not. Half the wires on it have been cut for some reason. Even oil pressure and temp.

The 2150 Manual might would help.

Thanks
You have to adjust the idle in DRIVE, Need someone in the truck with the parking brake on and foot on the brake peddle. 11 to 13 hundred is not extreme for an automatic in NEUTRAL. You will have to play with it a little, but adjust it till it runs but doesn't stall. If it feels like it is going to stall at lights bump it up just a tiny bit.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
T

thesprocket

Reaction score
You have to adjust the idle in DRIVE, Need someone in the truck with the parking brake on and foot on the brake peddle. 11 to 13 hundred is not extreme for an automatic in NEUTRAL. You will have to play with it a little, but adjust it till it runs but doesn't stall. If it feels like it is going to stall at lights bump it up just a tiny bit.

Good luck,

I'll try that. Now I have to figure out what is wrong with the Choke. Looks like part of it may be missing.

Thanks

OP
OP
T

thesprocket

Reaction score
I'll try that. Now I have to figure out what is wrong with the Choke. Looks like part of it may be missing.

Thanks
Update, It was a vacuum leak causing the idle problem. It was the line to the transmission.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. Glad you got it taken care of. Bet your tranny shifts better now too.

Good luck,

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke