Broken door handle in 95 xlt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 Bronco XLT

Reaction score
Door handle pulled off the door and ripped the metal skin of the door. I started with this thread on broken door handles and it worked out well. I edited this post to show the beginning and end result of my thread

I started with a thread about making a piece of metal(3/16" thick) that you cut 1" x 2". Then drill and tap the piece of metal. ***** your handle back down into the metal piece(you just created) hold up the piece from underneath the latch mounting plate on the door(which is now torn).

See below for follow up and conclusion

broken door.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
New door, or new skin, or only replace that section of the metal using a cut out section of a junker, attach and blend it in.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP

95 Bronco XLT

Reaction score
I Used a 1" x 1" piece of 3/8 thick steel. Drilled it with a number 5 bit and tapped it with a 6mm x 1.0 tap. doorfix.jpg

I edited this thread to show the end result so that someone else may benefit from this fix. broken door, door handle broken, ripped metal, door handle ripped off,

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sorry to see you go, but you never have provided any pictures so it is not really possible to see what the problem really was. Your description leaves a lot to the imagination. Glad you got the help you needed. Maybe you can read other posts and contribute suggested fixes to help others with similar problems to yours. After all that is what a forum is all about, users helping users based on experience. Apparently, nobody has experienced your problem before and thanks for the feedback. Add some pictures of how you fixed it and that would be even better.

Good luck,

:)>-

Xxxyank

Reaction score
If i recall correctly, i fixed a similar issue on a F250 once... But i'm sure i didn't use anything bigger then 1/8th inch plate to fix it & i just welded support back in and reattached the handle plate

Anyways I just broke two door handles on my 95 Xl with-in 3 days. I knew when i put the new handle on, that there was to much tension for those cheap plastic handles but NOOOO i got in a hurry. Something is freezing up in the system to cause that tension. i'll figure it out tomorrow.

I might just make some custom steel door handles, if it is going to rain all weekend... <):)