need new carb, looking for recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
my mechanic says that my carb is to far gone to rebuild. He says that i need to get a new one. i was curious if it would be worth moving up to a 4 barrel at this point. it's an 82 with no other performance mods. Also i've seen some holley's for pretty cheap used on craigslist. if i get a used one what am i looking for to make sure its a good working carb. and finally what cfm size am i looking for, its a 302 engine and like i said has no other mods and i don't plan on doing much more down the road other than maybe an exhaust upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I would not recommend buying a used carb. You may just be getting someone's problem. Rebuilt carbs are not recommended as the rebuild kit doesn't address all the wear problems. Buy either a re-manufactured carb or a new out of the box carb. If you want to go to a 4bbl then either go to a 4160, 4180 or one of the truck avengers. The 4160 and 4180 are the same with the exception of the bowl vent ports used with the. If you are going to be doing any off roading with radical angles then go for a truck avenger with dampened fuel bowls or go for some other brand carb that is designed for off roading. Keep in mind that you will also need to change the intake manifold. There are numerous possibilities, that only covers a few.

Good luck,

:)>-

Bronc76

Reaction score
Or you could just buy a re-manufactured 2bbl. Like Seabronc said, you'd have to change manifolds, depends on what you want or how much you want to spend.

OP
OP
J

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
i gotcha. i had a bad feeling about the whole used carb deal too. i knew i would need a new intake if i go up to a 4 barrel but as for the steep angles i dont need to worry about that. i live at the beach and we dont have hills. it will mostly be alot of sand and a little mud now and then. i took the truck out on the beach the other day and it seems to have plenty of power as it is. the only symptom of the bad carb is that when i need to stomp on the gas for whatever reason it stalls and is hard to restart. So i guess the question now is has anyone stepped up from a 2 to a 4 and is it worth the money involved.

Seabronc

Reaction score
i gotcha. i had a bad feeling about the whole used carb deal too. i knew i would need a new intake if i go up to a 4 barrel but as for the steep angles i dont need to worry about that. i live at the beach and we dont have hills. it will mostly be alot of sand and a little mud now and then. i took the truck out on the beach the other day and it seems to have plenty of power as it is. the only symptom of the bad carb is that when i need to stomp on the gas for whatever reason it stalls and is hard to restart. So i guess the question now is has anyone stepped up from a 2 to a 4 and is it worth the money involved.
If you are only going to use it on the beach then NO it is not worth the money for the conversion. You said it had plenty of power with the 2bbl. The 4bbl only cuts in the second two at wide open throttle or as needed at high speed cruise. The way I understand you are using it, I'd stick with a new 2bbl.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke