torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
hey guys its been a while since ive been on here but i have run into a situation.My torque converter has called it quits and i need to know a good place to pick one up.i know it might be impossible but i need a good one and cash is a little low so if anyone could help out that would be greatly appreciated.also would it be easier to just drop a 5 speed in it i know where i can get one and if so could i get a write up on how that is done, oh and also its a 1995 xlt 351 winsor e40d. many thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

A 5 speed is a bigger job I believe. How about a strong ZF?

ZF Swaps; SEE TRANSMISSION, Manual, ZF Section in my broncolinks.com site

One thing I have found out from some good Ford E4OD folks is that a standard TC should be used in-lieu of any "high performance" TC.

Here is some info until someone who has the good info comes by;

Torque Converter Cleaning, Diagnosis Procedure & Replacement Guidelines TSB 96-26-12 for 85-96 Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com

not much detailed install tips/info here

Torque Converter Leak Test Procedure TSB 96-24-9 for 84-96 Bronco & many others Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com

This should be installed

Filter, In-Line TSB 00-23-10 by Ford for 89-96 Bronco & F Series, etc. Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com

&

Filter, In-Line, Emerging Enterprises, Magnefine® or Power Steering XC3Z-7B155-AA Installation Instructions; Ford XC3Z-7B155-AA; this filter is cited in E4OD/4R100 Filter, In-Line Kit TSB 00-3-8 for 89-96 Source: by Emerging Enterprises, Magnefine® emergingent.com

Great Price Now too!

Magnefine Filter Qty: Price: $16.00 Size: 3/8 Inch 5/16 Inch 1/2 Inch Smart Connects: None3/8 Inch Add $3.505/16 Inch Add $3.501/2 Inch Add $3.50 Note: "Smart Connect" fittings are only suggested if a hose section is not available for installation or if you are doing a hard line install..

Filter, Internal, Grommet Warning; "...When ever you go to change your trans filter, Always make sure to pull out the little round rubber do hicky thingamabob. Lets call it a gromit or a seal? Theres this part of the trans filter that is inserted into the trans (a round tube that goes up into this hole ); Now the tube has a gasket of sorts that wraps around the tube ( kinda like a wide O-ring )It form a seal between the tube and the hole it goes in. Well what ended up killing my trans was that fact that the last guy that changed the trans filter didnt notice that this o-ring thing (gromit Or what ever) did'nt come out with the filter it stayed in the hole! He left it in there; & installed the new filter witch had its preinstalled gromit already; So what he did, is he (unknowingly) stacked two gromits on top of each other, Witch did not let the filters tube fit as it should. It was starving itself for fluid!! It was sucking air as well as tranny fluid! (in other words not working right) ..."

Source: by BlancoBronco (Cam C , Project BLANCO

==============

Torque Converter Installation/Preparation general by drivetrain.com

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/transmissions_automatics/ford_e4od_4r100__automatic_transmission_overhaul_kit__parts.html#Troubleshooting/OverhaulManual

Many torque converter problems can be avoided with proper preparation:

1) Pre-thread converter bolts by hand to make sure there is no sign of stripped threads.

2) Check and clean crankshaft thoroughly. Change crank spacer (if applicable).

3) Use 320 grit sandpaper or Emory cloth to remove any metal shavings on crankshaft.

4) Check converter for any damage that may have occurred during shipping.

5) Pre-fill converter with a minimum of (1) quart of transmission fluid.

6) Clean all paint off the pilot using 320 grit emory cloth.

7) Apply grease, not transmission gel, on the pilot.

8) Check flexplate for cracks and be sure there is no more than .006" run out.

9) Make sure all engine dowel pins are in place and clean.

10) Make sure all electrical ground straps are properly connected.

11) Never, Never use an impact gun to install torque converter bolts. Driving a bolt into the converter cover will create a dimple on the lockup apply surface. Lockup clutch failure will occur when the lockup piston applies against and uneven surface. Grinding off on thread length from all lockup converter bolts is recommended to avert this type of failure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torque Converter Installation Diagram & Ford TC Handle Tool (& pn); Shows Gap indicating TC is completely sealed Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

transtcinstalle4od.jpg

========

Torque Converter Installation Tips in a 92 F150 (Project Fiery Redhead) Source: by Ken B at Four Wheeler Magazine fourwheeler.com

==

Torque Converter Operation Test & Cutaway Depiction;

"...If the shudder occurs

a) during the 3-4 or 4-3 shift at HEAVY throttle,

or B) at 40mph in 2, OD OFF, and OD, or c) at the same RPM in every gear,

or d) coasting, cruising, or in R, or e) during extended light braking,

then it is NOT TC clutch shudder;

The following is a list of common vehicle concerns that have been misdiagnosed as torque converter clutch shudder. For diagnosis of the following items, refer to the appropriate sections of the workshop manual and the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis manual (PCED). Spark plugs - check for cracks, high resistance or broken insulators. Plug wires. Fuel injector - filter may be plugged. Fuel contamination - engine runs poorly. EGR valve - valve may let in too much exhaust gas and cause engine to run lean. Vacuum leak - engine will not get correct air/fuel mixture. MAP/MAF sensor - improper air/fuel mixture. HO2S sensor - too rich/lean air/fuel mixture. Fuel pressure - may be too low. Engine mounts -loose/damaged mounts can cause vibration concerns. Axle joints - check for vibration..."

at 40mph in 2, OD OFF, and OD, or c) at the same RPM in every gear, or d) coasting, cruising, or in R, or e) during extended light braking, then it is NOT TC clutch shudder; The following is a list of common vehicle concerns that have been misdiagnosed as torque converter clutch shudder. For diagnosis of the following items, refer to the appropriate sections of the workshop manual and the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis manual (PCED). Spark plugs - check for cracks, high resistance or broken insulators. Plug wires. Fuel injector - filter may be plugged. Fuel contamination - engine runs poorly. EGR valve - valve may let in too much exhaust gas and cause engine to run lean. Vacuum leak - engine will not get correct air/fuel mixture. MAP/MAF sensor - improper air/fuel mixture. HO2S sensor - too rich/lean air/fuel mixture. Fuel pressure - may be too low. Engine mounts -loose/damaged mounts can cause vibration concerns. Axle joints - check for vibration..." '>Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

OP
OP
95 buckin bronco

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
ok this may be dumb but it says in the form that a zf bolts up to a 5.4 and up which is the newer motors.and also is it a cheap alternative to the replacement that im havin to go through.thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

You need to scroll down in my ZF section to at least;

S5-42 Swap from E4OD in a 95 Source: by Broncobabe (Miss Kitten) at Adventure Offroad

other Hot Links in there are to;

S5-42 Swap from E4OD Parts List in a 94

Source: by Franklin (Jeff) at FSB

S5-42 Swap from E4OD pics in a 90 5.8

Source: by My90Bronco (James, Switch) at SuperMotors.net

S5-42 Swap from M5OD in a 95 F 150

Source: by gijoe4500 at FSB

S5-42 Swap Info & pics from E4OD in a 90

Source: by Banshee_boy_01 at SuperMotors.net

S5-42 Tips; "...There are three rubber plugs on top of the transmission that leak fluid only when the truck is in motion so when parked there will be no tell tail signs of a leak. You can replace the plugs yourself or take it to the dealer and have them check it for fluid lose and replace the faulty plugs but it's not cheap. Thing is, the seals are going to fail and if caught to lateas in my case cost you a bundle. Another set back for theback yard mechanic is the bleeding of the ***** cylinder. If not done exactly correct your clutch will not work no matter how much you bleed it. Bleeding the ***** cylinder, which is inside the transmission and not on the outside like older ones, relies more on gravity to bleed and not pumping. It's just a big pain in the ass actually and it will test your patience.

Source: by WooleyBugger at wooleysrant.blogspot.com

S5-42 to S5-47 Comparison pics in a 95

Source: by Superjet (Pile) at SuperMotors.net

S5-42 Troubleshooting Guide for 87-91 BRONCO, F & E Series

Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com

===============

as for; "...cheap alternative ..."

it may be so depending on what one costs from a yard or private sale; but you askd: "...also would it be easier to just drop a 5 speed in it..."

So easier vs cost......

I know it is easier to drop-in a new TC than try the ZF or any other manual swap

GL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke