Slow 4x4 light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-mikko-

Reaction score
Hello all, I´m new for this forum =)

I have -88 Bronco (full size) with 351 EFI V8 + C6

When I try to put that slow speed 4x4 on, light only blinks not stay on, I have do it several times (tranny in N position), but still light blinks =(

Where I should start resolve this problem?

Thanks allraedy!

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . I'll defer the question to someone with modern shifter experience, I'm use to the manual type.

Good luck,

:)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, Welcome!

When you have time, read thru this and get to da troubleshooting section;

Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for 92 & Prior Year Bronco, F Series & Ranger (COMPLETE); Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting after 92 Source: by Ford via Chilton

You'll see this later in the doc;

"With the previous module (This is your module), it was possible for the driver to select 4L directly from 2WD. However, the control module actually shifted the vehicle into 4H first, then checked to see if the vehicle was stopped and that the automatic transmission was in neutral (or the manual transmission clutch was disengaged). If these conditions were not met, the actual shift wouldn't take place. Instead, everything would be made ready for the moment when the shift could be completed. This was called pre-staging.

During pre-staging, the Low Range light flashed. This confused some customers. In addition, pre-staging and the flashing light sent confusing signals to the new E4OD transmission's electronic controller.

so, try punching into 4L while:

Stopped

tranny in Neutral

&/or manual transmission clutch disengaged

Some turn eng off and then go thru above steps.

then go thru doc until;

"No Range Shift

If the vehicle won't shift into 4L, check the speed sensor and the transmission interlocks (neutral or clutch in). Also check the 4L switch (C3) to see if the module is getting a signal. Be sure to check for corroded connections."

Read more and see diagrams, etc.

GL!

OP
OP
M

-mikko-

Reaction score
yo, Welcome!

When you have time, read thru this and get to da troubleshooting section;

Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for 92 & Prior Year Bronco, F Series & Ranger (COMPLETE); Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting after 92 Source: by Ford via Chilton

You'll see this later in the doc;

"With the previous module (This is your module), it was possible for the driver to select 4L directly from 2WD. However, the control module actually shifted the vehicle into 4H first, then checked to see if the vehicle was stopped and that the automatic transmission was in neutral (or the manual transmission clutch was disengaged). If these conditions were not met, the actual shift wouldn't take place. Instead, everything would be made ready for the moment when the shift could be completed. This was called pre-staging.

During pre-staging, the Low Range light flashed. This confused some customers. In addition, pre-staging and the flashing light sent confusing signals to the new E4OD transmission's electronic controller.

so, try punching into 4L while:

Stopped

tranny in Neutral

&/or manual transmission clutch disengaged

Some turn eng off and then go thru above steps.

then go thru doc until;

"No Range Shift

If the vehicle won't shift into 4L, check the speed sensor and the transmission interlocks (neutral or clutch in). Also check the 4L switch (C3) to see if the module is getting a signal. Be sure to check for corroded connections."

Read more and see diagrams, etc.

GL!
Thank´s for this information! I found orther electric broblem also, car wount start (always, sometimes it does) when P is engaged, when I turn it into N it starts immediately, this might be just adjusting issue!?

BTW. where is that speed sensor?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo yw

RE; car wount start (always, sometimes it does) when P is engaged, when I turn it into N it starts immediately, this might be just adjusting issue!?

Yes; could be from Ign Key Cylinder through the Actuator Rod to IGN SWITCH and then down to tranny's Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)

BUT since it starts in N; ck that NSS

Wiring Diagram in 87-91 (from Factory manual and the Factory EVTM guide (electrical, vacuum troubleshooting guide)

Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave) at Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14120

Red/Lt Blu from Ignition Switch to NSS and then to Starter Relay

Location in an 86 AOD; "...The AOD has the neutral safety switch mounted above the valve body on the driver's side of the transmission and the speedometer drive cable is attached to the vehicle speed sensor on the driver's side as well. This transmission uses a throttle valve linkage or cable assembly to regulate the shifts

Some pretty poor pics of her C6 NSS Replacement in an 88 C6 C-350 (Centurion Conversions); "...mounted under shifter linkage.." miesk5 Note; see pic #9 for a better view

Source: by AudraJean (Audra, Audra C, Redçmptiôn, Lochness Monster, Audra D) at SuperMotors.net

I may delete this Link someday bec she always post poor quality pics of some massive R&R jobs; a shame she didn't take better photos.

==============

BTW. where is that speed sensor?

see above in bold

Applications, Bronco, from about 1985-91 the (VSS) is located in da transfer case tail housing

Location pics in a 90 - transfer case tail housing Source: by BlueBeast (The Beast), JP N) at SuperMotors.net

Operational Description, pic & Parameters; this describes pre-92 years where VSS is mounted in transfer case tail housing

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=33

GL!

OP
OP
M

-mikko-

Reaction score
I replaced that shifter motor because it would not shift into 4WD anymore => now it works, but it still would not shift into slow 4WD :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I tried to move that transfer case axle (which that electric motor moves) when motor was off, it moved easily by hand...

I also installed new speed sensor and NSS => no codes at all -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Mikko

You'll have to go back to that Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for 92 & Prior Year Bronco, F Series & Ranger (COMPLETE); Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting after 92 Source: by Ford via Chilton

same for 87-96; exc for that in 87; power from Fuse 6 (15 amp) to "ELECT SHIFT CONTROL MOD" WHT-PPL and CB 12 (30amp) to "ELECT SHIFT CONTROL MOD" BLK-WHT; SEE A7 and A8 in the 4x4 diagram, it shows those two wires BLK-WHT as BK/W from SHIFT MODULE to P1 BATTY and and WHT-PPL as W/P to P2

go to

If the vehicle won't shift into 4L, check the speed sensor and the transmission interlocks (neutral or clutch in). Also check the 4L switch (C3) to see if the module is getting a signal. Be sure to check for corroded connections.

So, read this:

The 1356 Electric Shift Speed Sensor Replacement Information & in an 89; "Problem: 4wheel LOW was not working. I only got the blinking LOW light when I selected it. Sometimes it would work, but rarely, and without warning. The bigger problem would be when I would try to disengage it and it would not work. Then I'm stuck in LOW. 4 HIGH worked fine.

...took about 45 minutes to remove the yoke, tail housing, and solder/splice/heat shrink the new sensor in place

Lo and Behold my speed sensor was showing about 5 megaohms. I grabbed one from a junkyard and it measured 283 ohms. Swapped them out and it works beautifully!

Free fix, and it took about 45 minutes to remove the yoke, tail housing, and solder/splice/heat shrink the new sensor in place.

I attached a picture of what the sensor looks like when it's out.

BTW the sensor I got from the junkyard came out of a Bronco 2 I think...or maybe a Ranger. I forget, but I kinda took a gamble. It looked the same, and had the same color wires. Either way, it only had one bracket holding it in place, instead of a Bronco/F series BW1356 that requires the removal of part of the transfer case. It's much easier to get when you're in a junkyard..."

Source: by kf4amu

Miesk5 Note Ford Part Number is 7f293, speed sensor

Here is is on the 1356 courtey of drinkbrew;

96bronco1356speedsensor.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke