stock to MAF conversion???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajunator

Reaction score
whats up guys, ok so i have a 1990 5.8 EFI bronco, i recently put a brand new jasper engine with a mild cam in it, also new dual exhaust with shorty headers. its running great but i know there is more there to be "released". im looking to put a MAF on it, i was looking and for the carburetor engines this is to easy, some pvc pipe and rubber boots and your done. not that easy for the efi from what ive read. so have anybody done this?, is there an easy way to do it, vs cheap lol. i do alot of offroading so i just want to get the intake a bit higher and get some more power of course. what have you guys done with your intakes? any ideas would be great, O also im looking to put a MSD multiple spark on, you guys have any recommendations? ok thanks guys

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Here ya go; look @ the MAF Swap LINKS in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=209

Such as;

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion & Parts List with Cost for Bronco & F150 Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

and;

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion & Parts List in an 89 F250 351W

Source: by itsacrazyasian Thanks to Fireguy for his info on his webpage full of great info.

What had always worried me was the wiring for the injectors which proved to be very straight forward.

42299925.gif

This is the old speed density 351 pinout

For anyone contemplating the swap thats worried about the wiring. Heres a breakdown for 87-95 302/351 speed density trucks using a 88-93 mustang gt ecu. Now if you have a 302 you *may* need to change the firing order depending on your truck.

Maf Wiring

ABCD output

A - splice into pin 37. Its reference voltage and needs to be tapped into

B - splice into pin 40 or 60 of the ecu. its ground

C - add pin 9 of ecu

D - add pin 50 of ecu

Now for the major wiring of the ecu and pins to move.

truck pin 8 to pin 19 of mustang ecu

truck pin 11 to mustang 32

truck pin 51 to mustang 38

add pin 12 for injector 3 ground

add pin 13 for injector 4 ground

add pin 14 for injector 5 ground

add pin 15 for injector 6 ground

add pin 42 for injector 7 ground

add pin 52 for injector 8 ground

splice pin 29 and 43 together for hego. I didn't feel like adding a second o2 sensor right now since i did this mass air swap on a whim so i split the signal from pin 43 into pin 29. When i feel like modifying my exhaust and moving the o2 sensors into each bank i can run the signal return from the new left o2 to the pinout from 29.

Injectors 1 and 2 pinouts are correct. What i actually did was bought some high temp wiring in 6 different colors ran it in loom to the factory injector harness. I cut the ground wires for all injectors except injector 1 and 2 leaving enough room to solder new wire in.

the ecu i used was a cardone part number 78-4352. Cost me 80 bucks remaned. From fireguy's website it shows it to be similar to a a9l ecu for my manual truck and a 74-9502 mass air sensor off a mustang. A cone air filter clamps right onto the maf and i bought a magnaflow y pipe to merge the twin air hoses into 1 pipe. A trip to Race parts solution (racepartsolution.com) got me 2 silicone connectors to connect everything together.

2 hours worth of work.

200 dollars in parts

result:?

silky smooth idle and i mean silky. 15 mpg in the city vs 10 driving with an egg under my foot and awesome throttle response.

The truck has never run so darn good.

If someone was contemplating the swap. Hope this breakdown helps you if especially you're worried about the wiring part.

====

Speed Density to Mass Air Conversion & Parts List with Cost for Bronco & F 150 & EO4D in an 86 351W Source: by Kurt H at 2bigbroncos.org

etc.

==========

MSD; a few of the good ole guys (not really old..lol, but good!) here have the MSD; so they'll give ya their advice soon

for now see my site for MSD @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=395

for other systems; http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=227

Select A Category:

Crane

Davis Unified Ignition (DUI)

PerTronix

High Energy Ignition (HEI)

Jacobs

MSD

I'd piggy back it in; keeping orig TFI Sys in-place for emergency back-up; seen enuf aftermarket ign sys (as well as TFI) fail during bad times.

GL!

OP
OP
C

cajunator

Reaction score
crap lol i was hoping that i could just find something that was plug and play, im not really that comfortable hacking in to the wiring like that, but ill check it out. do you know if any of that would mess with a msd ignition/multiple spark amp? or would that just plug n play?

do you know if there is a premade plug to help with the wiring?, i doubt it that would be to easy lol

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo CJ

No P&P, sorry bout that.

MSD, etc are compatible w/SD & MAF

Read the MSD info in their site and use a search for it on the www...

No ign sys is 100% perfect all the time... ask Carl Edwards & Jack Roush..

as I mentioned, nearly evreyone keeps their orig coil, IGN Moduler and it's wiring in-place when using MSD...

(such as pulling coil to distr and tieing it up)

GL!

Seabronc

Reaction score
The MSD 6AL is a very simple upgrade. If you follow the installation instructions that come with it you should do just fine. If you want the TAC to work, you will need a TAC adapter from MSD. I mounted mine on the driver side using a bracket to hold one end, pictures attached. Like Miesk5 said, you can keep the old coil and distributor.

17 current.jpg

18 current.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar