holley carbs (again)...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaindrive

Reaction score
seabronc, thanks for identifying the type of carb i'm dealing with.

next question, how much can i expect to pay to have it rebuilt? like i mentioned it's a holley 4 barrel and there's a small gas leak at the front of the carb.

i'm also having problems with fast idle, it likes to kick up and stay there - about 1300 rpm's.

thanks.

Seabronc

Reaction score
You could do it yourself, kits are available from most parts stores. Having someone rebuild it for you would probably cost more than 1/2 of what a new one would cost. 4160s and 4180s are going for around $450.00. If you buy a new one get a remanufactured or new from the factory as a rebuild doesn't address wear problems.

Get a gallon pail of carb cleaner to soak it in if you decide to rebuild it yourself.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
i called around to the local shops here for an estimate on a rebuild for the holley 4180 carb.

upwards of $400! $-)

on the otherhand, o'reilly's has a remanufactured one (by holley) in stock for $240.

no brainer.

OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
update (yeah, it's been a while...)

finally got around to having the original carburetor rebuilt. i bought a sorenson's brand rebuild kit from autozone (had one in stock - $35.00!) and took it to a mechanic friend who walked me through the rebuild.

BIG difference in performance. now i don't need to use starting fluid to get it to turn over. also replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires. don't have any mpg. numbers yet, but if it's over 12 i'll be happy.

runs like a dream. since i last posted i've put on a set of goodyear wranglers and plan on some other improvements as i go along.

had a bit of buyers remorse after i first got it but all's well now :wub: .

BTW: it turned out there was no $240 remanufactured carb - guy looked up wrong item...

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
update (yeah, it's been a while...)

finally got around to having the original carburetor rebuilt. i bought a sorenson's brand rebuild kit from autozone (had one in stock - $35.00!) and took it to a mechanic friend who walked me through the rebuild.

BIG difference in performance. now i don't need to use starting fluid to get it to turn over. also replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires. don't have any mpg. numbers yet, but if it's over 12 i'll be happy.

runs like a dream. since i last posted i've put on a set of goodyear wranglers and plan on some other improvements as i go along.

had a bit of buyers remorse after i first got it but all's well now :wub: .

BTW: it turned out there was no $240 remanufactured carb - guy looked up wrong item...
I came into this post late but wanted to give you my opinion for what it's worth. I have run a few Holley's in my day and they seem to always need attention from getting dirty and the needle and seats plugging up and leaking. I finally switched to Edelbrock carbs because there are no gaskets below the fuel bowl line so they can't leak and they tune super easily. I also changed the float with a off road (side) float kit so when you climb up steep inclines the float won't sink and stall the vehicle. Which makes stopping without power brakes while rolling downhill backwards quite a challenge! Basically you can throw on a "New" Edelbrock for $299.95, close the hood, and forget about carb problems for good. I finally used one with the float kit on my '74 F100 and when I bought my '77 F150 it was the FIRST thing I changed. If I ever switched back to a carb vehicle, from an EFI one which I won't, I would buy a 1406 right away! Just something to think about in case you have any future problems with that Holley again....oh here's a link for the carb! >:) -Kevin-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1406/

Plus look at the accessories!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1203/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-4443/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-E-1088/

OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
thanks for the info kevin.

i probably would have gone that route had i known more about carburetors.

i stuck with the holley only because that's what the factory put on there.

i'm a big fan of fuel injection too, but deliberately got a carbed version bronco for simplicity and the price was right.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66