Rear Axle Rebuilt Cost...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolio2281

Reaction score
hey guys iam back, on here just about every night, well here's my problem, i need new rear wheel bearings, the rear diff's got some play in it, not terrible but play none the less, here's what iam contimplating, oh and on a side note, i ended up going with the autopage 915 lcd security system...anyways, what iam thinking is , iam leaving for school soon, figured i would get everything i need done prior so i dont have to dea with it down the road, i would like to get some of your guy's thoughts on prices for the ford 8.8 LSD axle, complete rebuild, thanks guys, i dont have the tools or the know how to perform it at this moment

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I would say figure on $800-$1000 parts & labor for an open 8.8" rebuild, closer to $1500 if replacing the LS with a new unit or adding a locker. You need a few special tools to set up the gear pattern, and should leave that to a competent mechanic if you want the axle to last a long time. There are a few links to the R&R in the How-To forum you can take a look at to see what is involved. JSM84

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Could just rip a rear off a wrecked or junk bronco. May be cheaper an last you a few years!

I was quoted 830 for a complete rebuild.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hmmmmm..,

How sure r/u there's a problem..? The diff's are supposed to have some play.

If it's not howling/growling ...put in some wheel bearings if needed., change the diff. fluid (especially if it has posi now) & save yourself buckets of $$$$$...!!! $-) :D/

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
theres only a weird sounds coming from the diff when iam accelerating, all the bearings are new front and rear and the drive shaft is going to be needing a replacement very soon as well, but i dont think this sound is from the drive shaft, its like a sounds of gears meshing

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Drop the rear of Dr.shaft....with wheels "up" see if there's play in the yoke (up & down/side to side)

Sounds like a pinion (nut or bearing) issue but could be deeper in as well.

(???why did you say it needs wheel bearings in the rear???)

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
said i need a rear drive shaft, the front and rear bearings are all new. i will check the pinion play when i replace the driveshaft, thanks!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"i need new rear wheel bearings," (your 1st post)

"all the bearings are new front and rear" (your 4th post)

------ Both posts the same day -------

No biggie here....just un-clear as to the bearings condition.

Good luck..... :-B

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
guess i wasnt paying attention to what i was writing, sorry BULLY BOB, the bearings are new in the front and rear, and adam dude 04 my drive shaft is bent a little bit, hit it on a rock, and the slip yoke will not hold grease any more, have to grease it about 4-5 times a week to keep the sqealing to a minimum..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar