Security System Choices?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolio2281

Reaction score
well woke up tuesday mourning to find my bronco with a bashed in window. cd player gone, sub/amp gone, ipod gone, 60 bucks cash gone, both sides lock cylinders punched out and they used a pry bar on my damn doors to get them opened..yeah you can say i was a little livid about the whole situation. well, got the window fixed and the driver side cylinder fixed. i need some suggestions on security system. i want, keyless entry/remote startm(its allmost winter time could come in handy) and a nice security.. i found a few viper systems that are nice but they are not compatible?? with obd1?? idk .... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks guys!

PRICE RANGE- under 400.00

AdamDude04

Reaction score
dont waste your money.

Best thing tho is remote start. I have this on the new truck and LTZ suburban at work. Great for winter!

But try this.. razor blades screwed to the back of the cd player. A lock box cener console (new all metal). And a blinking LED light bulb mounted on your dash.

I have a $50 dect. from my insurance that covers all glass. If they bust one or three windows, $50 out my pocket. Damage to vehicle is $100 out of pocket. Full coverage on the whole truck doesnt hurt at $60 a month including tow service. 3000 coverage on vehicle damage.

Krafty

Reaction score
if someone wants it bad enough not much is going to stop them. thats why I live out in the middle of nowhere, I leave my keys and my wallet in my truck 24/7 and I have no issues, when I was in college in the city I did have my cd player and cd wallet stolen cause I never locked my bronco.

you do what you have to do, first off find a better neighborhood. but good luck and hopefully you can keep your stuff safe. that led light is a good idea though, I remember seeing some keyless entry devices on summitracing.com

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Thatys another reason why i like my 15% window tint. I also live in nowhere land and you cant see anything at all at night. They usually wont waste time if they dunno whats in there

necessayrevil

Reaction score
i have a prestige two way remote start alarm with the add-on proximity sensor. it was $175 plus 50 for the extra sensor for when i have the top off it still guards the subs and amp in the back, i have it set VERY sensitive, the kids around here wont go within five feet of my truck and the two way remote works about 1/2 a mile away

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Another option I was thinking about too.. Bolt your subs/amps down to the frame. You get some big washers, and off-size bolt head..I'm sure it'd be more PITA to rip something out that's bolted down.

I have a small gun safe in my truck that's bolted to the floor. Just thought I'd post the bolting idea. You could also use metal straps to bolt everything down.

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
i appreciate your guy's comments. but this is about a security SYSTEM not some "BOLT IT DOWN" or "MOVE TO ANOTHER NIEGHBORHOOD" iam going to school here very shortly and a security system with remote start has been on my mind for months and iam getting one. i was just asking if anyone here had a system and would like to share their input. i do appreciate your comments, but iam shooting for reply's that only cover security systems..."Electronic Security Systems" thanks neccessayrevil and krafty + adamdude

AdamDude04

Reaction score
i appreciate your guy's comments. but this is about a security SYSTEM not some "BOLT IT DOWN" or "MOVE TO ANOTHER NIEGHBORHOOD" iam going to school here very shortly and a security system with remote start has been on my mind for months and iam getting one. i was just asking if anyone here had a system and would like to share their input. i do appreciate your comments, but iam shooting for reply's that only cover security systems..."Electronic Security Systems" thanks neccessayrevil and krafty + adamdude
Understandable. And I stand by my comments.. Plus think about it, every time you hear a car alarm go off..do you ever go look or call 911? You'd be surpried how many calls in 5yrs I've gone too about someones noise complaint against a car alarm with the thing still going off, and everything ripped out of it.

Think of it, how does a break in happen? They look in, see what they want, and usually smash the window. By this time your alarm starts going off. Either way, your window is still busted..

Hence why I offered bolting it down. Alarm or not, this way they are not going to run off with your stuff. It doesn't need to be tacky looking either - You could take your subs out, bolt the box itself down to the floor and ***** the subs back in with bolt heads instead of phillips head screws. Plus another added benifit is if you get in a car crash, you don't have a 50lbs box flying around hitting you in the back of the head lol And same thing with your amp..instead of using screws, use bolts or bolt screws. Even hex screws.. And don't forget the razor blades screwed or tapped to the back of your headunit..even if they do take it, they'll be in some serious pain!!!

However one last thing that I'm looking into personally is a system that my new truck has. If the truck is locked, and someone opens the door by first breaking the window, and reaching in to open the door - The headlights flash, and the horn honks like crazy. I personally like that standard feature on most cars these days, and want it in my Bronco simply because if I'm home sleeping, least I can at least try to catch the **** bag.

End of the day bud, do what you wish. We're just here to provide options an ideas. No hard feelings

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

I like Directed Electronics Products incl this one;

Viper Responder 350 2-Way Security System3305V

Viper is proud to introduce our most affordable 2-Way security system, which will wrap your vehicle in protection, with the most sophisticated electronic technologies available today, including the Stinger® DoubleGuard® shock sensor, Revenger® six-tone siren and Failsafe® Starter ****. This state-of-the-art system also offers in-demand convenience feature like keyless entry. Comes with one 2-Way and one 1-Way remote.

3305V.jpg

MSRP: $299.99

http://www.viper.com/P-3305V/Viper-Responder-350-2-way-Security-System

I have their remote start/keyless/pw/pdl unit and it has op. flawlessly for 13 years on the Bronco

Here is one review that sums it up;

"...I'm not sure why the 3 star reviews but I had this system installed yesterday and I LOVE IT. NOW... first, note... I ALSO had the battery backup unit installed but more importantly, the motion sensor. (Radar) unit install. This second unit makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE... and I would highly recommend it added. Here is what it does. The motion sensor is in under the center console. When the alarm is activated, it senses motion in and near your car. The dealer (Pacific Stereo) adjusted the sensitivity so that it won't pickup someone a foot away from my vehicle, but if they look in the window, it'll start to warn. ALSO.. and VERY COOL... windows down.. stick your hand inside, not touching the car... warning starts to chirp..."

=======

I also use X10 wireless security cams w/VCR. Their wireless can be powered by vehicle battery (min draw) and can direct signal to the receiver up to about 90 feet in str line. Or mount it our\tisde and use it or the wired cam

So, you can see who's messin' w/Bronco or home.

I hope to get a good qual DVR someday w/APS to use 4 cams and run it for at least 7 days.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
GL!

also;

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

And here is a typical X10 wireless cam pic using the free X10 proggie that also snap a pic every 5 seconds and save 10,000 pics on your pic; after 10,000th pic is taken, the first pic is automatically Deleted and a new one takes it's place...

1700hrsjan10x10.jpg

in case this site's programming won't aloow that Image to apper here; see it @ http://www.broncolinks.com/gallery_images/1700hrsjan10x10.jpg

I'll delete that pic from my site soon, I don't want anyone that knows me in this area to see it...lol

necessayrevil

Reaction score
it is a smart idea to bolt box your box down, not just for security for for safety as well. think about it if you where in a crash or roll over, do you really want a 200lbs box flying around in your truck?

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
leave a copy of guns and ammo magazine on the dash along with a camo hat and a few shell casings you should be in good shape. also what is the cheapest, but still good wireless starting system avail.?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Also, for the "less aggressive" thiefs, I use the Dorman 76994 Vent Window Locks

31TVup5-zEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TVup5-zEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Avail @ most parts store.

If you overlook your Bronco from say, a BR window and the alarm goes off; use a cheap Air Horn; that'll alert others that iggie the common car alarms.

Set-up a neighborhodd watch; if like most communities now where neighbors are cold... find someone else that wants to stop the thieves and violence.

A lady from a base I was at was murdered in Philly this year during her 0400 run. One of her neighnors, who we both worked with asked what could he do to help the Police. I suggested that he and others canvass the 'hood and ask if anyone had a security camera working with any tape or DVR recordings of hours before and during her death. They turned the list over to Police and they found one DVR recording showing the perp riding his bicycle round and round where she was killed. Altho the recording didn't show that tragic ******* it was good enuf for the Poilce to pick him up and eventually, he confessed.