Broke my driveshaft and need emergency help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zintrex

Reaction score
Hay chaps.

i a quick emergency question.

Will driving in 4x4 but without the rear driveshaft damage my transfercase?

The bolts holding my drivshaft to the output yoke on my transfercase snapped rigth off while playing around in the woods. :-&

so i removed the shaft and drove home in 4x4, but i need to go to the city tomorrow to get me a new u joint becouse one of my caps went missing after the driveshaft broke free. but i just started to wonder, will that damage my transfercase.

picture showing cleaned up and rdy for veld removal of the last broken bolt.

The method im using when i remove broken bolts is to veld on a nut with a smaller hole than the bolt sice. then as soon as the bolt/nut is not red hot i ***** the broken bolt out.

Edit: swapped the pic to a smaller and less connection killing sice

CIMG2687.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You should be fine just driving to the shop. The bind or windup you normally get when in 4WD on pavement is negated by not having a rear driveshaft applying input to the t-case, only the front one. JSM84

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
back before ebay and craigslist and with a lack of local junkyards i had to drive my 88 bronco for a few months in four wheel drive until i found a new rear driveshaft. it did fine. i'm sure its not good on your front end but in an emergency ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

OP
OP
Z

zintrex

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

went to the store today, but ofcourse the didnt have the joint...

so i have to wait till a new one arrives, ordered it today togh..

Edit:

Also i LOVE the way our cars are built.

i mean come on! the rear driveshaft snaps and all i do is curse rip it out, pull a large handle CLAKLUNK and off i go.

i snapped a front cv joint on a audi quattro once, so i tried the same, made shure no loose axle flying around

pressed the *** little difflock button and stood still as engine sent all the power to the one broken wheel..........

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo