winch bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
i wanna get steel bumpers for my truck so it looks real tough but i also wanna mount a winch on the front. does anyone no where i could find bumpers for under 400 a piece?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I think materials alone will run you $300+, not counting the labor cost to build one. What year model is your Bronco? I added a winch mounting plate to a 1988 grille guard that I have mounted on my 84 Bronco, but it is a custom job and is not available from any vendor. Bronco Air or Warn are about the only choices, JSM84

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Here's a link to the pics at supermotors:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/1133/71436-4

I don't know the brand of the brush guard that came off of the 88 F-350, but it's similar in design to most of the RanchHand bumpers alot of folks use here in South Texas. I fabbed some frame mounts using 3/8"-thick plates, with bolts thru tubing inserts in the boxxed frame horns. After notchingn the Harbor Freight winch mounting plate to fit and welding it in place, I also added two support bolts attached to 1/4"-thick channel iron welded to the front crossmember for my SAS. The HF 10K winch fitsright inside and under the center bar for the brush guard. The winch was $300 on sale, with the $40 mounting plate included. The 4"x6" plates for the frame mounts cost about $42 for all four.

If you plan to do somthing similar to this and use and existing push bar or grille guard, be sure that it can handle the stresses of winching. JSM84

OP
OP
H

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
i think im gonna take a steel plate as wide as my frame then weld a piece of thick angle iron to each side so its like |_______| then im gonna mount it on the underside of my frame and mount my winch on it. i still have to get underneath and see it that will work but thats my idea for now. then im gonna run the line and hook out of the holes in my bumper

OP
OP
H

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
do you think mounting the plate/putting bolts through the crumple zone is a bad thing? like will it be strong enough?

Justshootme84

Reaction score
do you think mounting the plate/putting bolts through the crumple zone is a bad thing? like will it be strong enough?
Yes, I think that bolting a plate to the front crumple zone may cause some problems and would not be strong enough for a winch pull. Take a look thru Miesk5's bronco Links for winch mounting setups, including "hidden" mounts behind the front bumper. Your idea could be made to work with the right enforcement and mounting, but it does not give any protection to the front that a pushbar or grille guard would. JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke