Fuel Pump won't shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12Crash34

Reaction score
New member here and need some assistance.

I just bought a very clean Eddie Bauer 1989 Bronco with the 5.8L for my son at West Point. I bought it in New Mexico for my son's birthday and drove it to So. Cal without incident. It sat for a few day's and when we went to start it, it was dead. Replaced the battery and alternator for good measures. Went out the following day, and it was dead again. Had the alt and battery bench tested and they were fine. However, when I re-connected the battery, I heard a faint motor running and traced it back to the fuel tank area. Seems the fuel pump does not want to shut off when the ignition is off. This is what was draining the battery.

Could this be the fuel pump relay or am I looking at something else? Does anyone know where the relay is located? Any assistance would greatly be appreciated. Just trying to get this rig on the road again so my boy can take it back to school for his 'firstie' (senior) year!

Roger

Seabronc

Reaction score
The relay probably has the points welded. Here is a diagram of the circuit. I assume that your son is a Firstie at West Point. My Bronco belonged to my son-in-law when he was a Firstie at West Point. He is now a Major and teaches in the computer science department.

89EEC 001a.jpg

89EEC 002a.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke