Does anybody have a bronco with 30 to 33 inch tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
hey everyone, i am looking to get better gas mileage and am thinking about getting smaller tires. I have 35inch all terrain tires right now and i like the look of them but i was wondering if anybody here had 30 to 33 =inch tires on a bronco(preferable 90 to 95) with a lift kit to see what they look like if u do have 30 to 33 inch tires please post a photo

Thank You,

Big Green

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I have a 6" lift on my Beast and still run with 31" tires. It really looks like I need bigger tires...

0525091611.jpg

green streak

Reaction score
4 inch suspension lift on 33x12.50's. 2nd pic sucks, but you get the idea.

DSC05847.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

green streak

Reaction score
cooltires where did you get them nd the rims from
The first pic the wheels are 15x10 Ultra brand rims that are no longer manufactured with bfg all terrains. The second pic is 15x10 Mickey Thompson Classic II rims with the same BFG All terrains with the white letters mounted on the inside. 4wheelparts.com sells my current wheel/tire setup as a package and when I purchased them, they offered free shipping. I don't know if this will work but try to click this. http://www.4wheelparts.com/shoppingcart.aspx It's a pretty cheap combo and they look good too.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Stock with 31's

I think I'm going to bump it up to 33's.. I think 31's with a lift is goofy but it does work :unsure:

SDC11278.jpg

SDC11279.jpg

rubberdust

Reaction score
I'm not certain that changing to a smaller tire size is going to get you any better gas mileage, you will be basicly changing you gear ratio so the engine will be running at a higher RPM.

Different tires will change you fuel mileage, an All Terrain will use more gas than a street tire, a Mud Terrain will use more gas than an All Terrain. With more flex in the tread there is more energy required to turn them. You can cheat a bit with air presure, I can squeeze another 1 MPG out of my 92 running max psi on the hiway, which helps, then drop it when I get out in the desert. Some of the new tires that are coming out have tread compounds that will help a bunch but so far most are in sizes for newer SUVs & crossovers, nothing that I've seen yet that are good options for a Bronco

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I'm not certain that changing to a smaller tire size is going to get you any better gas mileage, you will be basicly changing you gear ratio so the engine will be running at a higher RPM.

Different tires will change you fuel mileage, an All Terrain will use more gas than a street tire, a Mud Terrain will use more gas than an All Terrain. With more flex in the tread there is more energy required to turn them. You can cheat a bit with air presure, I can squeeze another 1 MPG out of my 92 running max psi on the hiway, which helps, then drop it when I get out in the desert. Some of the new tires that are coming out have tread compounds that will help a bunch but so far most are in sizes for newer SUVs & crossovers, nothing that I've seen yet that are good options for a Bronco
In a way, he's part correct.

Here's why..

If you take your current truck and just do a tire swap for something smaller.. you will gain MPG because the rotation of your tire is less than of a bigger tire. Lets say the motor has an RPM of 30rpm to spin the tire in one full circle. If the tire is smaller, in that 30rpm time frame from the bigger tire, your smaller tire will make a 1 1/4 turn - if that makes any sense.

The motor isn't working any harder for any tire. Its your foot. You want to go faster or maintain that same "pickup" so you ease into the gas a little more.

Now gear ratio does play a role, but in this situation, a smaller tire will gain MPG..however, I personally don't see the difference great enough to alter the look of the truck. I'd rather have a nice looking vehicle than a goofy looking one. May cost more gas wise, but I own a truck. If I wanted good MPG, I would have bought a car

rubberdust

Reaction score
In a way, he's part correct.

Here's why..

If you take your current truck and just do a tire swap for something smaller.. you will gain MPG because the rotation of your tire is less than of a bigger tire. Lets say the motor has an RPM of 30rpm to spin the tire in one full circle. If the tire is smaller, in that 30rpm time frame from the bigger tire, your smaller tire will make a 1 1/4 turn - if that makes any sense.

The motor isn't working any harder for any tire. Its your foot. You want to go faster or maintain that same "pickup" so you ease into the gas a little more.

Now gear ratio does play a role, but in this situation, a smaller tire will gain MPG..however, I personally don't see the difference great enough to alter the look of the truck. I'd rather have a nice looking vehicle than a goofy looking one. May cost more gas wise, but I own a truck. If I wanted good MPG, I would have bought a car
The engine doesn't know the difference between the tires & the gear ratio it all comes down to final drive ratio, if going to a smaller tire improved gas mileage we would see all the OEMs putting tiny tires on everything they make.

The only possible gain of putting the smaller tire on would be reducing the height of the vehicle creating less drag which the engine doesn't need to work as hard to overcome. Or the bigger hole you have to push through the air the harder the engine has to work so a taller vehicle has to punch a larger hole in the air.

The engine does have to work harder depending on the tire, not just the size but the tread design & rubber compound in the tread will make a differnce in the rolling resistance that the engine needs to overcome to make the vehicle move. The differences are growing & will continue to grow as tire companies battle for better fuel mileage from their tires. That doesn't mean that I'll give up my Mud Terrains for something with less grip just to save a dollar on gas.

The revs per mile

35 inch 599

33 inch 636

32 inch 656

31 inch 677

As for how this effects gear ratio

Divide new tire revs by old tire revs,

multiply by original axle ratio,

equals new effective axle ratio

beast runner

Reaction score
hey everyone, i am looking to get better gas mileage and am thinking about getting smaller tires. I have 35inch all terrain tires right now and i like the look of them but i was wondering if anybody here had 30 to 33 =inch tires on a bronco(preferable 90 to 95) with a lift kit to see what they look like if u do have 30 to 33 inch tires please post a photo

Thank You,

Big Green
I have 3 inches of body and 4 inches of suspension lift on Dayton Timberline MT 33/12.50/15'sIMG00205-20101218-1145.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
In my opinion, with the lift, the truck will look real stupid with anything less than 33's. That being said, the thing you really need to do to increase the mileage is to find a usable gearing combination that will keep your engine down around 2000 RPM at whatever your normal cruise speed is. Attached is a page from JBG's catalog that will help. There are also calculators available for the same thing. I think that the 31 x 10.5s on my tuck with no lift look a little small.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Gear selection.jpg

Blue Rose 010.jpg

Krafty

Reaction score
My bronco I had 33's on 4.5-5 " of lift

Bronco.jpg

when I sold it I had 31's on it and I thought it looked not bad, made it look taller without being taller, but going from 35's to 31's on 6" would just look ridiculous. you could try 33's or 32's but like seabronc said try to adjust your ratios for optimum rpm's while crusing.

(and lose the lead foot) I heard somewhere that if you look at your acceleration like rabbit and turtle, rabbit starts will lose you up to 80km's or approx 50 miles per tank as compared to turtle starts.

my dual tanks with stock tires and gears and driving like an old man gets me 560 miles on 30 us gallons of fuel, driving like a ****** off teenager I can only go about 440 miles on the same amount of fuel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj