camber adjustment On 71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudmagnet63

Reaction score
Ok I have searched with no luck!! The camber on my ride is awful the top of the front tires is way out. I have read some threads on later models having camber bushing on front of the top ball joint. Does my 71 have this? I went to Jeffs BGY and could not find them. I'm putting in my C-bushings this week and while I have the front end out I want to fix everything I can. any suggestions.

Thanks

Mud

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Your rig doesn't look like it has a lift at present.

Are your C-bushings shot., or R/U doing a lift..? (or putting in "stock" C-bushings)

The more info you provide., the better the help you will receive here... :unsure:

-- There are no adj. for camber....C-bushings do that, depending on stock or lifted.... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

-----All this means is, as the axle rotates a bit due to a lift, & the C-bushings aren't changed...the camber moves slightly. ----

Like that orange paint...!! :D/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Mudmagnet63

Reaction score
Bully It's stock no lift, and I dont plan on putting one on.I hope to make this a show quality ride. The body is perfect No bondo anywhere new floor pans from the firewall back.The pic's dont do the orange paint justice the PO knocked it out of the park on the paint and body work I just don't think he was much of a wrench turner. I am starting on the c bushing this afternoon, and yes they are way beyond shot. That's why I wanted to knowabout the camber adjustment, while I have the front end out I want to replace everything I can while it's accessable.

Thanks

Mud

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
The C-bushings & the radius arm donuts (don't forget these!) are about the only things the axle needs to be out to access. Most everything else is accessable while on the rig.

Springs & mounting hardware can all be cleaned & painted. (if not rotted)

The knuckles & kingpins, etc. on ea. side you can clean & inspect.

Un-even torque on the C-bushing caps can lead to a lean to your rig. Measure all four corners & note B/4 you start.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
If you are going for a show quality truck, you might also look into going with rubber bushings for the Cs & the radius arms. They are a lot more forgiving than the poly bushings that most companies sell now. I think that Wild Horses is about the only company that stocks the rubber on a regular basis too. They also offer a softer ride, but the big draw back to them is that they don't last like the poly ones do.

OP
OP
M

Mudmagnet63

Reaction score
Front end is on the ground finally. When we got it loose the radius arms were worn a quarter of the way through where they bolt through the hangers, so I found used arms to replace the old worn ones. Now the trans is making a noise so it looks like the tranny and transfer will be changed out this month also. Anyone have a money tree they aint using.

7bronco1

Reaction score
if its a later 71 with the dana 44 it has a cam for the upper ball joint that adjusts camber. but if you have the front end apart put all new rubber in it and then take it to be aligned. sometimes the cam needs to be replaced to get the correct degree of camber. the c bushings only ajust caster not camber.

OP
OP
M

Mudmagnet63

Reaction score
Ok I finally got the c bushings in I also replaced tie rods and drag link. This week I'm going to start on the roll bar and put in the new back seat. put on bikini top to keep the sun off and hopefully drive it for a while.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
This was your orig. issue but no mention lately. :unsure:

"The camber on my ride is awful the top of the front tires is way out"

Actually., there is camber built in if you put a straight edge against the tire/wheel.

Sooo., the wrong C-bushings can move the camber forward, or aft of the centerline.

Sounds like you're on the right path.....have fun & good luck with your rig. :)>-

69bronc347

Reaction score
you guys need to listen to sbolt 19, the c bushings wont do anything for camber, they adjust caster, either something is bent or your ball joints are worn out

69bronc347

Reaction score
WHOA big fella...!!

Did somebody shoot your dog...?? :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Might want to get your 'ole (dusty) geometry book out.... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

dont know where you learned steering angles, but caster is the tilt of the steering axis front to rear. and camber is the tilt of tilt of the tires so if you have negative camber your tires look like this /---0-\, if you have positive camber your tires look like this \---o-/ the factory axle are built in with no camber adjustment, so you sould have 0 camber + or minus a tenth on the alignment rack, which looks like this |---0-|, i do alignments professionally, so dont tell me im wrong, you got your shit backwards

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi 347...,

As they say..., "You're never to young to learn..! :wacko:

1st.., Do this.., go back & clean up your **** language....some have been banned fr. this site for lessor comments. Might want to hurry B/4 the moderators catch it....(just a heads up..!!)

2nd..., I don't have time to educate you on the EB sooooo.., get the EB repair manual (like I have) not a Haynes....& you will then know the design on the EB.

EXAMPLE; there is NO caster/camber adjustment on an EB.

There is a few deg. camber built in at the factory.

Good luck with your shop....if you need any more help please do ask... :-B B)

69bronc347

Reaction score
you are backwards pal there is 0 camber, however there is 3.5 degrees positive caster built in, caster is the non wearing tire angle it is for directional stability, and sorry for the language, i am just trying to help out not cause a big stir, if you dont believe me go to your local alignment shop and ask, because like i said i do alignments for a living

AKB3

Reaction score
you are backwards pal there is 0 camber, however there is 3.5 degrees positive caster built in, caster is the non wearing tire angle it is for directional stability, and sorry for the language, i am just trying to help out not cause a big stir, if you dont believe me go to your local alignment shop and ask, because like i said i do alignments for a living

69bronc347,

You are exactly right. The only adjustment I know of for camber on a D44 is an eccentric bushing for the upper ball joint. I know you don't need any backup, but the people looking for correct information, like me, should be able to get it here. I just think Top Gun may is confused on alignment terminology, no offense Top Gun. Only my two cents.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Welllll....,

If ya want correct info. then listen up this time.

I did NOT say it was adjustable.... however it does move a bit (fr. perpendicular) when the incorrect C-bushings are in place. Very slight though so there's no major worry.

I have the design spec's right here in front of me.....THERE IS a small camber built into the front axle geometry.

Sometimes the "pros" assume..., & don't take the time to go look it up in the books. :unsure:

There ya go..., take it or leave it..... :-B :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

AKB3

Reaction score
Welllll....,

If ya want correct info. then listen up this time.

I did NOT say it was adjustable.... however it does move a bit (fr. perpendicular) when the incorrect C-bushings are in place. Very slight though so there's no major worry.

I have the design spec's right here in front of me.....THERE IS a small camber built into the front axle geometry.

Sometimes the "pros" assume..., & don't take the time to go look it up in the books. :unsure:

Ther ya go..., take it or leave it..... :-B :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Well I'm going to have to leave it Bully Bob. No need to live up to your screen name by the way. I have been listening up and still disagree with the point you're trying to make. The original poster seems to have a positive camber problem. The solution is an adjustable eccentric sleeve that goes into the top ball joint. This site is here to help people, not to try and show everyone how smart you think you are. Finding a way to lessen the camber on his front end should be the focus here, not who's right and who's wrong with a library of design specs piled around your computer screen. We'll leave design specs, geometry, and all that other stuff to the NASA experts in Houston. Most of us are just plain folks here looking for good fixes for our rigs. Not pros by any means.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
OUCH...!!

I'm the one being attacked here...while only offering help.

(someone else jumped all over me)

Sorry if facts upset you.

BTW., it's a '71 & a D-30 (i.e.kingpins) as I recall., not 44.

I think we on this board solved his problem.

And., my name has to do with a show-down with an animal...nothing else.

You have a good day now won't you.... :D/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke