Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fudge747

Reaction score
I have a '77 that has a dying motor. From talking to folks, it'll be just as, if not cheaper for me to drop a crate engine in as it would to have a complete engine rebuild. I'm just looking for a stock 302 to put it, nothing fancy. I live in the Atlanta area. Anyone have any suggestions for distributors in the area or one that won't **** me on shipping.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Fudge.., welcome..!

I prefer a freshened orig. motor but that's just me...

--- Don't those crate motors come fr. Mexico..? ---

The key is finding a good machine shop, that does quality work, in your area.

They can & will walk you thru their shop & show you the where, what, & hows on a re-build. :-B

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronc76

Reaction score
X2 on the rebuild of the original. You can have it built to your tastes as far as picking parts and see that its done right.

MachDream

MachDream
Reaction score
I have a '77 that has a dying motor. From talking to folks, it'll be just as, if not cheaper for me to drop a crate engine in as it would to have a complete engine rebuild. I'm just looking for a stock 302 to put it, nothing fancy. I live in the Atlanta area. Anyone have any suggestions for distributors in the area or one that won't **** me on shipping.
Hello Fudge..I was in the exact same boat as you a few months back with my orig 302 getting weak. Like you, i did the research, and also found that after parts, machine work, driving back and forth, etc..it was more cost effective to buy a reman or a crate engine...but it all depends on what you want out of it. I, too, made mine into a daily driver and i got lucky and found a complete 0 mile 302, .40 over with a little cam on craigslist and i got it for a great price. it is true that thre is something to be said for rebuilding your own, etc, etc but all and all you'll be time and money ahead to find a reman or one that is already done. i went with the HEI style distributor, 1 wire alternator, etc and now have a great running super solid motor that im very happy with. Good Luck to ya!

S_bolt19

Reaction score
x3 on the rebuild. It can be made for what you want. I rebuilt mine with fuel injection for less than a crate engine would have cost.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
When I was much younger and had no $$ my engines would get( as long as the bearing and ring surfaces where not grooved or streaked) a hone and new ringsand main bearings and gaskets and I would alway get at least 35,000 out of them before they got tired again. Is your truck just an offroader or every day driver? For an every day rig that is like three years for an offroader that is like 10 years.. Do the math and count your pennies and do what you think is best good luck...

BBB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke