High idle!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panchos95

Reaction score
I've asked for help many times!!! And everytime you guys have came thru!!! And I do appreciate the help!!!!!! My 95 bronco, with a 5.8 is sweet, I love it!!! I start it, no matter what time of day! Morning, evening, or nights!!!! Starts perfects, purrs like a kitten!!! Here is my issue!!!! I drive it around, for two minutes or and hour!!! And it stays at a high RPM!! Right around 1000-1100!!! When it warms up from a cold start it's at 600 (give or take)!!! Any ideas flks?! I would appreciate it!!!! Thanks!!!

Seabronc

Reaction score
Is that 1000 - 1100 in neutral, park or drive? I assume that the 600 is if you start it and let it warm up without driving it and it is left in park, correct?

OP
OP
P

Panchos95

Reaction score
It's starts just fine, warms up and is at 600. After a few minutes it stays at 1000-1100 in drive, doesn't matter if it's forward, or reverse! When I put it in park, or nuetrel it's at 1500-1600!! If I turn it off, and restart it it starts at 600.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo;

Suggest you do A Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) by BroncoJoe @ http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__p__74587entry74587

I run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse.

then; turn off all accesories/lights, etc.

Do KOEO portion first

For Key On Engine Running (KOER) portion, the engine has to be @ normal operating temp.

Post any codes found here or look em up in my broncolinks.com site.

----

A Pure GUESS is da Idle Air Control (IAC) sensor;

Overview & Testing; "First let me say this little thing has many names. But they all talk about the same item under the hood. Here all the names I’ve had the torture of learning throughout the years: Idle Air Bypass •Idle Air Control •Idle Speed Control •Throttle Bypass Air •Idle Bypass •Inlet Air Controller •Inlet Air Bypass •Intake Air Bypass •Intake Air Control..."

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=39

Hitachi Idle Air Control Valve Recommended Cleaning Procedure

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/231296

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
My guess would be the TPS Throttle position sensor.

High idle is often a vacuum leak or as miesk5 stated a sticky IAC. AS posted in his link the IAC can be cleaned.

So check for vacuum leaks as discribed in the link to pulling codes first.

Good luck

OP
OP
P

Panchos95

Reaction score
I changed out my TPS, and it did help! It's not idiling as high. When it was running and in park I moved the throttle body and noticed it dropped a lil more in idle!! I think my spring on top of the assembly might be going week!!! Going to see if I can find one at the JY this weekend! I will also be changing the IAC, been looking at the local JY's but haven't found the same style I've got, which is the vented one!

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
You can try cleaning your IAC, that often works.

Oh and BTW... you should not be able to move your throttle body. If you can you probably have a vacuum leak at the base.

OP
OP
P

Panchos95

Reaction score
I'm not able to move the throttle body itself, I closed the valve. Or butterfly valve inside the throttle body itself. Where the accelorator cable pushes it back to close it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke