cold air intake pix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
How do you like your CAI? Notice anything power wise?

I know some folks have done a DIY with the CAI idea..they took a regular air filter that fits into the airbox of a Chevy (IIRC) and it fits up perfectly with the factory intake hose.. (got photo off googleimages)

truck-010.jpg

I thought about trying this.. but I'm worried about the crankcase breather (I have a bit of oil coming out mine..) or that I'll just be sucking in hot motor bay air unlike the factory setup that gets fresh air from between the hood/grill.

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
i really noticed a increase in power and MPG was increased. b-4 i installed the CAI i know for a fact that cruising at 70 mph in overdrive my RPM was reading 1950 . with the CAI installed now its 1725 RPM i have a 5.8 engine no modifications except for the CAI and a flowthru exhaust . truck has 130000 miles on it

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Hmm I may have to try the DIY mod (photo I posted) an see if I like it or not.. at least it'd only be $20 down the drain if I don't lol

I average about 18mpg now (3/4 highway, 1/4 city)..the lower RPM range may be neat though

Frankie

Reaction score
yeah i added that to my truck, and i noticed a little power gain. i'd say its worth it. plus it sounds cool when you punch it.

Seabronc

Reaction score
How do you like your CAI? Notice anything power wise?

I know some folks have done a DIY with the CAI idea..they took a regular air filter that fits into the airbox of a Chevy (IIRC) and it fits up perfectly with the factory intake hose.. (got photo off googleimages)

truck-010.jpg

I thought about trying this.. but I'm worried about the crankcase breather (I have a bit of oil coming out mine..) or that I'll just be sucking in hot motor bay air unlike the factory setup that gets fresh air from between the hood/grill.
You are right AdamDude4, Unless you get that filter outside the engine compartment it is a hot air intake not a cold air intake. You can't get any colder air than from outside. The air inside the engine compartment is heated up by the engine. What you may get in this arrangement is a little freer air flow and of course the sound of the air being sucked in which was muffled by the factory arrangement.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

89purple horse

Reaction score
i have also been kickin around the idea of a cia myself and have done some thinking about the diy version as well but i cant tell from the pics of the k&n set up but it looks basicly the same as the diy except for the piece behind the filter. it looks to me as it would be sucking hot air as well as the diy set up would. is the any other pieces in the k&n set up that are not pictured?? no use spending a extra $$ if the 20 dollar mod will do the same. can someone set me straight on this one?? thanks in advance guys :)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Why not getting a late model Bronco or F series (gas eng) cold air intake tube apparatus and modding it slightly to fit prior years EFI Broncos?

Here is a set of pics by Cal Monkey; http://www.supermotors.net/registry/16287/68509

But he did the opp. and installed the K&N and removed da cold air intake tube that runs to the top of the radiator....

100_0297.jpg

Air Tube & Box Insulation pics in a 94 5.0; Ken used Reflectix Insulation, avail @ Lowes. etc. ST16025 - 16" x 25 feet. miesk5 Note; Ken installed the K&N® & removed da cold air intake tube that runs to the top of the radiator; but he might have installed the intake tube section later.

Source: by Ken B (Kenny's 94) at http://www.supermotors.org/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9319&s=29460#content

img_1444.jpg

or a Fender Intake pics & info in a 90 5.8

Source: by 90Beater (Topher, Chris) at http://bronco.tophersworld.com/writeup_cooling.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke