Bronco II newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gebroncoII87

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Greg, I'm from Michigan. Just bought a 87 bronco II in excellent condition. My goal is to get it looking like new. My first battle is trying to figure out why my exhaust fumes are so rich. (black smoke like fuel mixture is too rich) I don't know much about workin on engines & stuff, but am a fast learner and love to get all my tools out. If anyone has a suggestion on where I can start it would be appreciated.

Thanks

media1.jpeg

OP
OP
G

gebroncoII87

Reaction score
ok, i guess i need to give more information. I need help. the truck has a hesitation, the warmer the engine temp gets, the worse the hesitation. when staying at a constant speed truck will have a hesitation when flooring the accelerator it goes away. both fuel pumps have been replaced, new fuel pressure regulator, any suggestions.

OP
OP
G

gebroncoII87

Reaction score
Have you had it tuned up? checked timing?
plugs and wires and dist. cap are new. but i pulled a few of the plugs and they look pretty black. I'm assuming that is from the rich fuel condition, when truck is warm there is almost like raw fuel coming out of the exhaust, you can see little spit spots on the ground coming out of the exhaust. The timing has not been checked, not sure how to adjust it yet. I believe i need to get a timing light?

thanks for the response!

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
you will need a timing light and white out.turn your motor over till u can read on the crank pulley(well behind the crank pulley you will see another circle piece with numbers on it). when u can read the numbers then take your white out and mark 10 degrees before top dead center,tdc, and 10 degrees ******** tdc.then take your timing light hook it to the number one cylinder and your battery then loosin your dist,start the truck,shoot the light at the pulley see where it is at and move the dist. back and forth accordingly.also i think u might need a special tool to get to that bolt on the dist.not sure though might be somethin to look into.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The coolant temp sensor may be bad for the EEC when the sensor tells the EEC its cold it enrichens the mixture . When it warms up it tells the EEC to lean it out could have come unplugged or could be bad telling the EEC its cold all the time . Something to check :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
G

gebroncoII87

Reaction score
The coolant temp sensor may be bad for the EEC when the sensor tells the EEC its cold it enrichens the mixture . When it warms up it tells the EEC to lean it out could have come unplugged or could be bad telling the EEC its cold all the time . Something to check :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks, I replaced that last night. It wasn't the problem. I was hoping I would get lucky with that. it was onlt 16 bucks. any other suggestions?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . Have you checked to see if there are any codes. I'm sure you probably don't have a code reader, but you can take it to most places like AutoZone and have it read for free. Chain stores are not my preference for getting parts from, but they do have a place. For parts I prefer a professional auto parts supplier like NAPA or any place that deals primarily with mechanics.

It is definitely running too rich. Unfortunately the computer depends on several things to determine how to manage the fuel mixture. If the code reader thing doesn't find it for you then I would take it to a professional mechanic. That may bring on fears of "EXPENSIVE", but it may save you a lot in replacing the wrong parts. Often times it isn't nearly as expensive as you may fear.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickyb571