distributors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ford_302

Reaction score
so i need everyones favorite type of distributor. i recently bought a procomp electronics HEI from bronco graveyard for my 351w and it is absolut junk! and so is the company, i need a distributor bad! i like the thought of an HEI since all you have to do is give it juice and your done, i know nothing about the durasparks and how to wire them or ignition boxes for that matter lol this is my first distributor that i have ever had to deal with so the HEI was easy for me.

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you got a bad HEI from Bronco Graveyard, keep in mind that they do not manufacture the products only sell them. I have never had a problem with them as a parts distributor and if I needed help, they were always ready to bend over backward to help. My suggestion is to get on the phone and see what they can do for you.

Not to argue about the quality of a PRO COMP, but Why did you come to the conclusion it was junk? Have you ever installed a distributor? What procedure did you follow to install it? Was the engine running before you attempted the HEI installation? If so, have you gone back to the original distributor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
When I saw the thread title, I was also going to suggest an HEI dizzy for the smallblock Ford for ease of hook-up and less parts to worry about on the ignition circuit. I have an HEI for my 1988 Ford 460 that I swapped in the 84 Bronco, and it runs fine. Paid $57 for it shipped off of ebay. I would say the top-of-the-line HEI for our Ford motors has been from a company called DUI, although their units run about $400. AS SeaBronc stated, if you think you have a bad part that you bought from Bronco Graveyard, give them a call and find out what they can do to help you with hook-up problems or replacement. JSM84

OP
OP
ford_302

ford_302

Reaction score
i meant to say procomp is the company i dont like, i do like bronco graveyard. and yes i have installed distributors before, ive just never have had any problems with any of them. and i swaped from efi to carburation so this is my first time dealing with something that did not come stock. and no the motor was not running before. it is a new motor so i figured why not an HEI to top off the new motor, so no i dont have an original distributor. and how i came to the conclusion that it is junk is that since january i have gone through six pickup coils. and it litrally chews into one side of the magnet. i called procomp and they just shipped me a new pickup coil. that lasted ten minnets, i called them again and they told me to ship it to them and that they would fix it. so i shipped it to them and they shipped me my old one with a new pickup coil, that lasted about fifteen minnets. i called them again, thier technition told me to smash the reluctor with a hammer and that would fix my problem, i call B.S., have you heard of fixing it this way? and i have heard alot of good things about DUI distributors, im just not sure if i should go to a duraspark 2 or try a diffrent company such as mallory for an HEI, i will try bronco graveyard monday and see if they are willing to work with me, i really do like the HEI i got. im assuming i just got a bad one? and procomp isnt willing to replace it or even fix it right, if it is fixable?

2percent

Reaction score
I have always lived by the fact you get what you pay for. Now Im a cheap SOB so autozone, ebay, and junkyards love me but its a win lose situation thats why i try to go for lifetime warranties. Some times you luck out and get a diamond but most time youll wish youd sprung for ****.

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
im thinking of putting a new dist. in my truck i really heard good things about MSD the one thing i am confused about is that it was stated in the add for the MSD must use external controll box . what is this and can someone post the correct way to install the dist and controll box, thanks

89purple horse

Reaction score
i have been doing research on a dizzy myself but i am looking for the tfi set up and i have been reading post on here and from what i understand the stock set up on that is pretty good. (i have had a few cold ones) but my advice would be follow what just shoot me 84 has to say say he knows what he is doing and misek5 as well they havent gave me any bad info. i went the cheap way and just added the msd cap and rotor but i am albout the budget build up so

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar