Engine wouldn't stop running and now won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvlFaust

Reaction score
This morning when arriving to work my 1995 Bronco 5.0 decided that it didn't want to shut down. I parked, turned the key off and the engine started dieseling pretty hard. It was making an odd sound high pitched sound and i wasn't able to get it to stop until i put it in gear and then shut down (even then it made quite a noble attempt to continue dieseling). After it finally stopped i had quite a bit of smoke coming from under the hood. After work I took a quick look under the hood and vehicle and didn't notice any fluids that could have caused the smoke. At the moment i can not start the vehicle (can hear the starter solenoid click but it isn't turning the engine over) and will have the vehicle towed back to my place come wednesday. Any advice will help. Thanks.

broncokong

Reaction score
This morning when arriving to work my 1995 Bronco 5.0 decided that it didn't want to shut down. I parked, turned the key off and the engine started dieseling pretty hard. It was making an odd sound high pitched sound and i wasn't able to get it to stop until i put it in gear and then shut down (even then it made quite a noble attempt to continue dieseling). After it finally stopped i had quite a bit of smoke coming from under the hood. After work I took a quick look under the hood and vehicle and didn't notice any fluids that could have caused the smoke. At the moment i can not start the vehicle (can hear the starter solenoid click but it isn't turning the engine over) and will have the vehicle towed back to my place come wednesday. Any advice will help. Thanks.

broncokong

Reaction score
I had that same problem once but in a different truck. The starter never disengaged and it smelled almost like an electrical fire under the hood, I got lucky that nothing else besides the starter got fried. I can't promise that's what went wrong in your truck but it sounds awfully similar to what happened to me. Pull the starter and have it tested at your local auto parts store before you do anything. I had shady mechanic tell me it was the ignition, not knowing any better at the time, I got rolled for $300 bucks just to find out a couple hours later that it was the starter the whole time when my truck did it again. Hope you won't need to go through the same shit I did.

kschirman

Reaction score
i had the same issue with the 67' 302 engine in my 46' Willy's. The starter wouldnt disengage, i would start there as well. Pull it out and have it tested>

Good luck.

Ricky B

Reaction score
After going thru 2 'new' (rebuilt)starters in 20,000 miles, as well as 4 solenoids, I finally found a brand new Autolite starter at my local Kragen's for $90.00, no exchange. This one was built in Canada, fwiw. If you need the part number just let me know.........

Ricky B

Reaction score
Just got to my shop and found the box for the starter---so for future reference's sakes, this is the one that fits my '87 full size with the AOD and 5.0;

Autolite Platinum, Pro-Tech starter

Ultima Select

#32524 N524A ATR

And on the SKU label it reads;

AUTOLITE PLATINUM 97132

(distributed by CSK Auto, 645 E. Missouri Avenue, Phoenix, Az., 85012)

OP
OP
E

EvlFaust

Reaction score
Wow! Seriously, you have no idea how much this has helped! It did smell like an electrical fire from underneath AND I just put a new starter in about 3 weeks ago. That will be the first thing I check when I get it home tomorrow. Thanks for the info!!!

OP
OP
E

EvlFaust

Reaction score
Sure enough it was the starter. It doesn't seem that any of the wires shorted out, but the starter itself just crapped out. Put in a new one, checked the wiring and its good as gold. Thanks for all the help!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke