Shock change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Any writeups on how to change your shocks? I've never done this myself (always had a shop or maintenace program do it).

I want to do this..have basic tools, and a garage to work in. I don't want to **** myself or get hurt so I'd like to learn how to do it first than try it LOL

My shocks are rust coverd, with holes in the outter shell - Thankfully the shocks still work, but gotta change em out soon.

2percent

Reaction score
I dont have a write up but I can tell you how its done basically. You will need jack up the side you are replacing. Remove tire take of retaining bolts and pop lower one off then slide the top out. you may need a pry bar and do not puncture the cylinder as you may get sprayed

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
yeah its pretty simple just like he said except there is a nut on the top side of the front shocks so get that off bottom bolt out then just pull right out i have takin both shocks off the front all at once so nothin is goin to **** u but dont play around with the coil spring just to be safe.

2percent

Reaction score
yeh the coil spring will show who is boss if you play with that. I know of a few people round here that thought they were tougher and lost. Funny now but scary as all **** then.

wileec

Reaction score
Too much work I just did mine and the truck never left the ground. Chiltons/Haynes is your friend.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I was looking for a write up.. lol or much more detail.

I have a haynes, but yet to look at it. I'll peek at it tonight when we get home from the vet. Tho my book has been around the block, fallin off a cliff, and thrown at a bird.

wileec

Reaction score
1. Remove the nuts from the bolts holding on the lower mount.

2. Remove the nuts from the upper mount.

3. wiggle and pry the old shock out.

Depending on the preload of the new shock the install may be a bit different but.

1. Bolt on the upper mount.

2. Carefully loosing the string/twine holding the shock closed until you can install the lower bolt.

3. Torque to spec.

Repeat for each wheel (you will need to repeat twice on each front if you have dual shocks.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo