chips???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2percent

Reaction score
not done it personally but I have heard if you chip it get the tuner too and it can do wonders. Also I have heard it advised to swap the cam but that may have been a personal choice.

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
i am weighing my options to be honest i cant afford the 300 dollars jobs i have been looking on ebay and found the chips that tie into the wiring harness somewhere dunno if there worth it. any opoins would be greatly appreciated.

Iagree with u on the cam i have planes on steping up on the cam a little and thats what got me lookin in to the chips the air fuel ratio adjustment would help notice the cam

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
lol i am checking it out now. i am diffintly thinking about it. i am at the drag strip pretty much every weekend starting in a couple weeks. it seems easy enough to install and uninstall i will definitly run it with and with out the chip and post the results thanks again

AdamDude04

Reaction score
You know..I'm tossed on "chips" because of their function in life.

I have a 2 degree timing advance in my new truck - You really feel it when doing 45-75mph. Slightly hit the gas and it stays in gear, and pushes you back in your seat a little more than normal. Enough to notice - Though my girlfrind hates it because I give her whiplash wayy too much apparently

Then I also did the WOT restriction removed - My truck uses only 50% of its power up until 28mph, at that point he WOT restriction is removed. I can burn rubber stock setup, but not much as it's still able to get traction. With WOT restriction removed totally, I can fish-tail up and through 2nd gear when floored. It's like a whole new motor on the low end. Nice thing about my truck is the tourqe from bottom to top with a serious power band around 3200rpm. End of day tho, my MPG can be crappy if I'm peddle happy or an escalade or Ram hemi wanna try an test me!

But on the flip side, I've heard "chips" for the same truck cause early O2 sensor failure, MAF readings wrong, and high carbon buildup due to giong beyond factory specs.

My programer removes restrictions and bumps timing all within factory specs..chips I think from what I've heard go beyond factory specs to get that added power. Believe me, I'm all for power and fun - But I'm not for forking out money for repairs.

I havn't touched my Bronco performace wise except exhaust (for the sound) because I'm affraid of going beyond what Ford has spent hundreds of thousands of bucks desinging. They built the motor to work years upon years with their specs (hence my 317k miles an going strong).

So end of the day, do mods that are soild and work together with other items related to your tweeks.

2percent

Reaction score
Im sure that a chip could do that as the power has to come from somewhere. I mean these engines are designed for durability and function. In order to get extra power you have to reconfigure different aspects making some thing work different and function harder causes early wear and failure.

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
as long as u stay with in factory specs its not going to cause wear on parts. all it is doing is changing the air/fuel ratio and either retarding the timing or advancing it which ever the case calls for. all the potential is there from the factory but ford or dodge or chevy whoever it may be has to follow government guide lines on every car that rolls of there assembly lines. in my opion it would be no different than adding bigger injectors and a air intake. add more fuel/air to the motor = more power. the chip just does the mods electronicly instead of adding parts.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
as long as u stay with in factory specs its not going to cause wear on parts. all it is doing is changing the air/fuel ratio and either retarding the timing or advancing it which ever the case calls for. all the potential is there from the factory but ford or dodge or chevy whoever it may be has to follow government guide lines on every car that rolls of there assembly lines. in my opion it would be no different than adding bigger injectors and a air intake. add more fuel/air to the motor = more power. the chip just does the mods electronicly instead of adding parts.
Negative. Altho some chips do just very little, most are there for big gains you can notice and feel.

Every motor is different. My 2 degree timing advance is found on the QX56 straight frmo the factory. Retarted, but it's that extra tad bit of power to make a consumer want to buy Infiniti vs Nissan.

Same thing with the WOT restriction - Motor is designed and can handle such power, but due to federal saftey laws, it has to be put in there. Just like when I have the brakes pressed while flooring it, I can't do a burnout as the computer will only allow 10% of power to the rear wheels. Tho..a simple snip of the red wire behind the brake ped will fix that too ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Now when you start getting into A/F ratios and the other stuff that is forced to work harder OR produce more, then problems can be found over time. You ***** with the A/F ratio, that effects the carbon build up in your motor, and plays around with the O2 sensors. The chip can be more than happy to change a setting..but unless other parts are informed of the upgrade, they will be working harder than normal.

I don't know.. but I always question myself... If I can't afford the neat big upgrades, should I settle for the cheaper stuff? Then ask yourself, if I start toying around with it, can I afford a new one? i.e. your daily driver, only vehicle you own, is rolled down a big ditch and slammed into a tree on an offroading trip..or you snap an axle, or you just flat out went around a corner too fast on dirt and slammed into a huge rock - Not a very smart choice taking it past the limits, esp if you can't afford them new expensive parts so it can get you to work, so you can afford them parts to begin with!

Anywho, Programers are a better option than chips. Hence why programers cost more than chips..

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

Some comments on Chips by 2 people who know more about the Ford EEC system than anyone I have ever met or worked with;

by Sig; "...They're garbage unless they're done with YOUR vehicle on a dynamometer and an experienced tuner. The plug & go style don't do anything you can't do yourself for next to nothing. The only after-market tuning devices worth considering are the Quarter Horse and the twEECER, but only after SIGNIFICANT modifications have been made, and to the point that the factory programming can't keep up.

don't even bother with the PCM's programming until you've reached the point that it's absolutely necessary to do it. That level of modification won't be seen until the heads, intake, exhaust, and cam are changed..."

--

by Ryan M; "...Ford programming has been better than any other manufacturer for years. this is why GM aftermarket computer tuning is more popular. ford computers can do more in the stock form. And you engine is no where near exceding the stock computer at this time.

MOST IMPORTANT IS COST

There are several ways to get a different engine and program. But the best way will require a new mustang computer, MAF sensor, wiring harness, and a chip tuner.

omputer: $100 - $300

MAF sensor: $100 - $200

Wiring: free junkyarding - $700

Chip: $400 - $750

Cheapest way to do it would be eBay hunting and you're still looking at $500+ for everything you'd need.

So from a dollar stand point your ...truck engine does not have enough perfromance potential to justfy the cost.

Honestly I can't really justify my own computers cost. I have spent just over a grand on MAF computer hardware.

This is one of my web sites that talks about EFI perfromance add on's. Not all of my pages are working because Taco, Pepe, and me are trying to upgrade my sorry a$$ excuse for a web site

http://fordfuelinjection.com/performance.html

There are some BS chips out there.

Any "chip" that plugs inbetween the harness and computer is nothing but trouble.

Any "chip" that hate's the word chip and wants to be called a "programable module" is probable the real deal. I don't have a "chip," I have an AutoLogic module. It plugs into the back of the computer on the J3 port

When a Module plugs into the J3 port, It substituts values within the stock Ford program.

can anybody guess what comes next ???

Ford's EFI programmign is so good, we keep it, we simply tell it the truth. Chips between the harness and computer lie to the computer. Lieing is bad, computer will do the wrong stuff and you won't be happy. Plug into the J3 and tell the computer the truthfull values, like injector size, engine displacement, ect and both computer and driver will be HAPPY

..."

Hypertech Power Module Review in a 94

Source: by Stephen R at again.net via web.archive.org

"...The next modification to the Bronco was going to be ignition work. Although the Ford ignition system worked just fine, I had read several reports about new "computer modules", so I read some specification sheets, and ordered the Hypertech Power Module, the Hypertech Power-Stat, and the Hypertech Modified Octane Bar for the distributor. I'm really not too sure this was such a great idea. I noticed no improvement in power, speed, acceleration or anything... except for the gas pump. No I didn't get more MPG, I had to switch from 87-octane gasoline to 91-octane. (The Bronco doesn't run worth a damn when I use 87-octane!) As for the Power-Stat, ****, it's just a plain old thermostat that opens about 40-degrees sooner than the factory job. What it does is make the Bronco run richer and cooler, fooling the Ford computer. WHOOP-EE!!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo; here are some comments by sector9507-02-2005, 08:45 PM

Personally, I think aftermarket "chips" and programmers are a waste of money. These chips and programers must meet *all* the EPA emissions requirements of the factory chip. What this means is the "performance" chip/programmer does absolutely zip under most operating conditions of the engine. So how do they claim "increased HP"? Because of a small loophole in the emisssions regulations regarding engine operation under wide open throttle (WOT). Under WOT, engine performance is maximized at the cost of increased emissions... WOT is considered sort of an emergency situation and since this condition rarely occurs under normal driving, the impact on the environment is about nil. The aftermarket "performance" chips focus their tuning in this area of engine operation buy tweaking the engine management computer; a more radical advance curve and mixture enrichments are common tweaks (you'll usually have to install a "performance" 160 deg t-stat and filler-up with premium to get the maximum HP increase). So, yes, these chips/programers can increase the *peak* HP of your engine.... but only if and when you enter the WOT mode of operation.... not likely in street driving.... even in "spirited" street driving. And peak HP is not what gives a street machine it's punch; it's a big, broad, flat torque curve that starts down low in the rpm range. These chips/programers also typically tweak the shift parameters of computer controlled auto trannies; holding each gear a bit longer, firming up the shift quality and delaying lockup and O/D operations giving a "seat of the pants" feel of improved performance (of the transmission but not the engine). With a manual box. obviously you'll not get this benefit. Think about it, if the auto makers could increase performance (HP), still meet emissions and have a high reliability rate by installing a better chip, don't you think they would?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke