tranny swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89purple horse

Reaction score
i have got good advice so far lets see if we can keep it. i will make it short and sweat lol. i am kicking around the ideaof pulling out my c6 (on its last leg) and puting in a 5 speed. is there anyone that has done the swap? pro vs cons? and what gears do u recommend? and if it can be done i like to stay a from a hyd. system seen to many fires from headers melting the lines

Krafty

Reaction score
find a donor bronco or f150, f 250, or f350 with the small block and 5 speed with the mechanical clutch like you can and just start swapping parts.

Krafty

Reaction score
I want a 5 speed automatic..

how do you plan on making that one work? the transmission that is built for an engine series that is years ahead of the old small blocks, not to mention computer controlled out the ass. And I can imagine would cost like 2000 at least for the whole thing plus controllers not to mention the adapters and other Frankenstein parts needed to get it connected to your transfercase and mounted on your motor.

if you can figure it out for under 1500 let us know

AdamDude04

Reaction score
how do you plan on making that one work? the transmission that is built for an engine series that is years ahead of the old small blocks, not to mention computer controlled out the ass. And I can imagine would cost like 2000 at least for the whole thing plus controllers not to mention the adapters and other Frankenstein parts needed to get it connected to your transfercase and mounted on your motor.

if you can figure it out for under 1500 let us know
May just need to do a 5.9 cummins/tranny swap

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
it seems i have found the issue with my c6 it was the valve body i bought a valve body from the local tranny shop with a b&m shift kit already installed (by someone that know what there doing)lol and its shifting like a new one but still interested in the swap down the road

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
i still want to do it but figured the c6 is good now and i have plans on droping in a big block so i would have just had to do the swap again so no use doin it twice if i dont have to

Krafty

Reaction score
if you want to run a big block with the manual transmission you will still need a donour for random parts. ie clutch pedal and all that stuff. As long as you find the right bellhousing for the block then you can mate it up with any ford manual tranny built to fit the same era of transfercase.

anything else can be custom made or modified if needed.

I prefer not to mix my ford and dodge parts. if I wanted a dodge powerplant I would have bought a dodge. same reason there is no 350 in my mustang.

its hard enough having a project made out of a few different ford vehicles when you need to buy parts.

79 bird with 69 merc motor and tranny, with 73 stang driveshaft, replacing ujoints ****.

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
i agree if u want dodge buy dodge if u want chevy buy chevy. there will be nothing but ford parts going on. since i bought my bronco about 6 years ago i have wanted to put a 5 speed in it but its my daily driver so i havent had the time to tear it down. have found a local salvage yard that will work with me so im gonna start buying a piece at a time untill i have it all. and thanks for the tip i was under the wrong impression i didnt think u could change the bell housing i thought the tranny would have to be out of a truck with a big block

Krafty

Reaction score
if it was gonna be an automatic big block then yes it would have to come out of a big block auto, the bell housing and main transmission body are designed to be one unit. The manuals on the other hand have the bell housing that bolts onto the transmission so as long as the bell housing bolt holes and the transmission bolts line up your golden. plus if they don't then i'm sure there is an adapter out there for pretty much any combo you can think of.

Good luck.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo; Ask our good friend and 460 swap expert JSME84; 5.8 to 460 Swap in an 86

Source: by justshootme84 (Randy Z, Casual Mudder) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7785

5.0 to 460 Swap in an 89

Source: by Steve D at ford.off-road.com

I put a 1994 EFI 460 and the E4OD transmission it came with in my 89 Bronco. The Bronco came with an EFI 302 with AOD transmission and BW 13-56 T-case. The motor was supposed to go into a 1994 F-350 but the chassis was pulled off the assembly line for a QA inspection. Since the engine and transmission were already together, and the next truck on the assembly line wasn't an F-350, they dropped the engine/transmission onto a pallet, shipped it to Leanard Vasholtz of Pikes Peak Hillclimb fame (he races Bronco's up Pikes Peak every July 4) and I bought it from him for $4k. I used my original BW 13-56 t-case because it was the t-case they were using behind that combo in 1994, and it was a bolt on. Never had a problem with it and it has been beat to death offroad, towing, etc...

Your best bet is to either find a complete donor vehicle from which to take all the parts out of, or check into your local FORD dealer and see if they have the EFI 460's for sale as a crate motor. I had to buy the ECM (460 computer), chassis wiring harness from a 1994 F-350 and splice it to the existing 1989 harness to get everything to work properly. The engine comes with a harness on it which includes all the wiring for the engine sensors. It connects to a weather tight plug that then connects the engine harness to the ECM. It's kind of modular. Same goes for the E4OD. It has a harness which is for the transmission and t-case sensors and it connects to a plug that then connects the transmission to the ECM. These can be seen if you look under the hood near the black plastic fuse box that sits on the wheel well on the drivers side.

To make everything easier, I also bought the FORD EFI manual, the HELM wiring Schematics for both the 1994 and 1989 model year light trucks, and the HELM service manuals for the 1994 Light Trucks. The wiring schematics have all the circuit ID's and color codes for both model years, and most of them match exactly. All I did was splice the 1994 underhood harness to the 1989 harness where it meets the firewall. It's a lot of work, believe me. Took me 2 days to drop in the motor and transmission and 7 weekends to wire it all...!

I used L&L motor mounts, custom fabricated the shift linkage for the E4OD because it is a cable operated shifter and my 89's was a bell crank style.

I had to fabricate a custom t-case mount support and cross member, and mounted the transmission to it also. I had to buy a 4 core Big Block radiator which was a bolt in, and added 2, B&M Transmission Coolers. I had to buy a remote oil filter kit from Transdapt because the stock filter hits the frame cross-member.

The 460 air cleaner mounts in the same exact location as a stock 91 would. I ended up buying a K&N Filtercharger kit and it mounts in the same place also. If you find that getting all the parts is too hard, you might seriously consider a late model 460, build it mildly and then run the Holley EFI system on it to gain the EFI advantages. IMHO, carbs went the way of the Dinosaur. I'll never own another carb'd truck again. I use mine more offroad than 90% of the 4WD's out there and EFI is the way to go hands down, end of story, period...

Keep in mind, the stock FORD EFI system on the 460 is Speed Density and it won't run on anything but a stock 460. You can get away with a K&N Filter, plugs, headers and plug wires, but just about any other mod to the engine i.e.: cam, heads, intake, etc. would cause the air flow into the engine to be out of the calculated ranges burnt into their PROM of the ECM, so it would attempt to run at the end of this scale and that's it... It might work, it might not...

If the system were the Mass Air type, typically found on Mustangs and the newer trucks, the engine can be modified and the ECM can handle it... If you are looking to run a cam, or anything other than pretty much box stock, go the Holley EFI route... It works, is simple to install compared to a FORD EFI system swap, and offers all the benefits of EFI without nearly the cost and aggravation...

see his eng compartmt. pic; http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/data/articlestandard/ford/472005/198386/sdb7.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Engine Conversion Kits for Bronco & Ford Trucks (sales catalog w/pics & descriptions)

Source: by L&L landlproducts.com http://www.landlproducts.com/catalog.pdf

now I forget what you wanted to do...lol

And am too x'ed now to go back or scroll around in this reply mode to see your original Q and the follow-ups you posted.

What was the Diesel thAng about? I have a few Diesel conversion Links in my site under ENGINE, DIESEL

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
lol i am looking to swap the c6 out for a five speed and want to throw a big block in my beast. this project will be way down the road but i was gonna do the five speed swap cause i thought i had a dying c6 but she found a new life :)>-

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke