1993 full size Stability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floridaredneck

Reaction score
I keep hearing that broncos are top heavy, but how easily do they really tip?

I have a 1993 full size bronco, with 33 inch all terrains on it.

I peel around corners and stuff like that often, (dirt roads mostly)

Am I in danger if tipping it?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep hearing that broncos are top heavy, but how easily do they really tip?

I have a 1993 full size bronco, with 33 inch all terrains on it.

I peel around corners and stuff like that often, (dirt roads mostly)

Am I in danger if tipping it?
yo,

Yep!

Ask Steve83 if he comes back on-line.

and ask JSM84 why he has a roll cage

San Diego County Ford Bronco Rollover Crash Injures 11

Eleven people were injured in a Ford Bronco rollover accident in East San Diego County the afternoon of March 22, 2009, CBS News reports. The vehicle was possibly involved in smuggling undocumented immigrants, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection officials said. The Ford Bronco rolled over less than a mile away from the U.S.-Mexico border in a rugged area. Two victims suffered moderate injuries in the single-vehicle rollover crash. Nine occupants were also treated for other injuries. The driver of the Bronco was taken into custody on suspicion of attempting to smuggle undocumented immigrants illegally across the border. It is not clear what caused the rollover accident.

I'm relieved that this San Diego County SUV rollover accident did not result in any fatal injuries. I wish all the injured victims the very best for a quick and complete recovery.

Ford has been plagued with a history of rollover problems with many of its sport utility vehicles including the Ford Bronco. In 1982, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) published an alert that it was considering requiring warning labels and information in the owners' manuals of SUVs. The public still for the most part lacks awareness about the proper handling and operation of SUVs. The NHTSA at the time listed a number of brands of SUVs that have a relatively short wheelbase, a narrow track, high ground clearance, a high center of gravity, stiff suspension system and four-wheel drive. Such vehicles are prime candidates for being unstable and having an increased propensity to roll over. The Ford Bronco was one of the defective autos on this list.

Ford Bronco rollover accident victims have suffered brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and other catastrophic injuries as a result of the Bronco's poor design. As one of the nation's leading auto product defect law firms, Bisnar | Chase has represented and won significant jury awards and settlements for injured victims against large auto makers such as Ford, General Motors, Chrysler and several auto makers that manufacture unstable, rollover-prone vehicles. I admire our clients who have the courage and commitment to take on these industry giants with the conviction that they must be held accountable for putting these unsafe vehicles in the market. Our hope is that these lawsuits and the many lawsuits we have filed against Ford and other auto makers will convince them to improve the quality of their vehicles and make them safer for consumers.

Posted by John Bisnar http://www.productdefectnewsandadviceblog.com/2009/03/ford-bronco-rollover.html

from my 96's Owners Guide

WARNING

When replacing full size tires, never mix

radial, bias-belted, or bias-type tires. Use

only the tire sizes that are listed on the

tire pressure decal. Make sure that all tires

are the same size, speed rating, and

load-carrying capacity. Use only the tire

combinations recommended on the decal.

If you do not follow these precautions,

your vehicle may not drive properly and

safely.

RWARNING

Make sure that all replacement tires are of

the same size, type, load-carrying capacity,

and tread design (e.g. “All Terrain”, etc.),

as originally offered by Ford.

RWARNING

Do not replace your tires with “high

performance” tires or larger size tires.

RWARNING

Failure to follow these precautions may

adversely affect the handling of the

vehicle and make it easier to lose control

and roll over

be careful out there!

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
i always enjoy reading your comments . they are so detailed which makes every job i do on my truck more enjoyable. and when it comes to safety you are tops . whenever i post a problem i always hope that you are one of the responders......keep up the good work we need you
clap.gif

Seabronc

Reaction score
Any SUV including the Bronco can be rolled with two motions of the steering wheel, (turning the steering wheel sharply in one direction followed immediately by a sharp turn in the opposite direction). That is not the only way, but why most of the rollovers occur. Tires skidding sideways on a slick surface and suddenly coming to a dry surface or curb is another. Your dirt road is a fine way to do one in a skid around a corner if your tires hit a edge that suddenly stops the sideways motion of the tire. They do it around here a lot in the winter thinking that 4WD allows them to proceed on a slick snowy or slushy road as though it was dry. There is no cure for stupid.

Good luck,

:)>-

wolf83

Reaction score
Tires skidding sideways on a slick surface and suddenly coming to a dry surface or curb is another.
i second that! soft dirt acts as a lubricant - reducing the friction between the tire and the road. no lubricant means more friction -- tires are designed to grab, not slide -- so friction is good, until your sideways momentum (fishtailing) experiences friction. your momentum doesn't just disappear -- it keeps your high center of gravity going in a straight line while your wheels happily do the job they're intended to do -- grip the road.

wolf83

Reaction score
i forgot to mention i watched a rollover once. a car (not a bronco) hurried to go thru a left turn light -- quickly, but not dangerously fast. unfortunately, the road had some sort of oil spill from a wreck a few days earlier that hadn't been cleaned up properly. the turning force was lost to the lubricant (tires couldn't do their job) and the vehicle continued in a straight line until it hit a dry patch near the edge of the road. it just calmly rolled onto its passenger side. it was the slowest accident i had ever seen.

OP
OP
F

floridaredneck

Reaction score
Any SUV including the Bronco can be rolled with two motions of the steering wheel, (turning the steering wheel sharply in one direction followed immediately by a sharp turn in the opposite direction). That is not the only way, but why most of the rollovers occur. Tires skidding sideways on a slick surface and suddenly coming to a dry surface or curb is another. Your dirt road is a fine way to do one in a skid around a corner if your tires hit a edge that suddenly stops the sideways motion of the tire. They do it around here a lot in the winter thinking that 4WD allows them to proceed on a slick snowy or slushy road as though it was dry. There is no cure for stupid.

Good luck,

:)>-
Thanks guys, I was really wondering.

I already had a realy bad expirience, and it had to be God that got me out alive.

I was tearin down a dirt road during the rain, and I lost control of my bronco,

and at 45 mph the whole truck slid sideways. It almost tipped but thank God it didnt.

2percent

Reaction score
Rain and speed do not go together and then add dirt makes it even worse. I rolled a 87 fireturd at 65 in the rain. I was 16 and had a v8 and thought i was cool. I rolled it with 3 of my buddies in the car. basically i decided brakes were useless and i just made a 90 degree turn at 65 went into the ditch flipped over landed on the wheels and drove it home. we all were safe but only because we were lucky. they thought it was cool, I thought I killed them. So bottom line is you can roll any car if you try. If you cant send it to me Ill show you how.