83bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakko101

Reaction score
hi im new here so i hope this is how it works. i have an 83 that i replaced the lock cylinder in two weeks ago all the sudden the key wont turn does anyone have a suggestion also when i put the transfer case in 4 hi or 4lo the indicator light comes on but its not in 4 wheel and yes the lockouts are switched to lock thanks for any help you can give

shift1313

Reaction score
on the 4x4 issue. is the lever on the Tcase physically moving when you shift into/out of 4x4? With the truck off, tranny in N and wheels blocked so the vehicle cant roll(and E brake) put the Tcase in 2hi and move your rear drive shaft, then put it in 4hi and do the same.

On the key issue. Can you explain a little more on whats going on. After you swapped the cylinder, did it ever work? did you buy a cylinder/key set new or did you pull it from another vehicle.

OP
OP
W

wakko101

Reaction score
on the 4x4 issue. is the lever on the Tcase physically moving when you shift into/out of 4x4? With the truck off, tranny in N and wheels blocked so the vehicle cant roll(and E brake) put the Tcase in 2hi and move your rear drive shaft, then put it in 4hi and do the same.

On the key issue. Can you explain a little more on whats going on. After you swapped the cylinder, did it ever work? did you buy a cylinder/key set new or did you pull it from another vehicle.
i bought a new lock cylinder and installed it about two weeks ago no problems until the other day when it stuck. i got it out and put the old lock back in for now until i get paid to buy a new lock set will look at tcase tomorrow was told it had possible blown lockouts

wolf83

Reaction score
wakko, i also have an 83. i might be heading the wrong direction with your issue, but i have a similar (but not exact) problem. my key won't turn in its cylinder (and i have never changed cylinders). i discovered that it was the linkage inside the door that was keeping it from turning. remember, the key turns the cylinder which then moves a rod that is connected to the rest of the door linkage. on my vehicle, the rod could not move freely -- the linkage was loose or worn. this happened on both doors. i haven't been able to fix it yet, but it's not that bad. i have found that on the driver side, if i end up trying to open the door (by pressing the button in with my thumb) while it is locked, then my key wont work -- it moves the linkage out of place. instead, if i unlock first and then open the door, it works. the passenger side is too messed up -- i can't use the key at all.

you know, after reading what i posted, i am sure somebody is going to think i am crazy, but i know for sure this is what happening to my bronco. i have taken the door trim off and watched as i tested everything. i noticed the linkage is worn and i used some zip ties to keep things in place, but this is certainly not a very functional or successful fix.

when i get the money i will fix it right.

check your linkage -- see if that does it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar